1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help me stop being so negative

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by bertsgirl, May 6, 2011.

1. bertsgirl

bertsgirl New commenter

I'm on long term supply in a challenging y2 class. I know they're young but these are kids who don't seem to care about consequences. I went in hoping to set firm boundaries, be tough initially then begin to have more fun once they understood the boundaries. But now we have this pattern of a majority of the class constantly pushing the boundaries. Every day is so hard. I'm constantly reminding them what I expect, taking minutes off playtime & golden time. It feels like it's me v them and it's horrible. I don't want my classroom to feel like this. The schools policy is positive & restorative so I need to turn it round. I go in every day intending to give out lots of rewards but soon it's back to the negative cycle. How do I break the pattern and get them interested in being good?

2. A few years ago i had a year 4 class that sounds very similar. They were really hard work. I took over after Christmas - the previous teacher left because of the behaviour and feeling she wasn't coping.
    My strategies were to be firm, fair and consistent first of all. To try to catch them being good as has already been said but - and i think this is really important keep the pace of the lesson up. One of the first things to go in a class with challenging behaviour is the pace of the lesson. As the pace slows the behaviour gets worse and it's a downward spiral. Poor behaviour needs to be noticed and commented on if appropriate but only briefly and then speak to the child after the lesson. By stopping the lesson to deal with it at the time, it gives other children the opportunity to go over task.
    If possible notice which children are the main culprits - not a good word here b ut i hope you know what i mean - then split them up around the room. For the time being have a 'bottoms on chairs' policy - the more they move around the class the more opportunity there is to misbehave.
    I would also have a big pile of colourful stickers. when a child is doing the right thing give them a sticker - may be a note home / visit to a senior member of staff, if the accumulate a certain number of stickers in a day.
    Good luck - i know it can be exhausting.