1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help me spend some money !

Discussion in 'Primary' started by HANR, Feb 19, 2016.

1. HANR

HANR New commenter

Hi there,
    I've recently been given a post as a primary history coordinator and told last minute that I have to spend £800 in the next week... Does anyone have any good recommendations of the best way to spend it ? I was thinking maybe of some online resources ? Let me know if you've used anything that's particularly good.
    Thanks very much!

2. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Really?
    Why?

3. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

Have you asked your colleagues about their resources? Maybe there are resources missing or some that need updating? Carry out an inventory.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

The time limit seems like a recipe for bad decisions - presumably it's a question of the end of the financial year approaching. Maybe there is another subject coordinator who knows exactly what they will want to spend their budget on next year - in which case it would seem more sensible for them to have this money and you to have more next year.

But I agree about auditing what you have and what you need, particularly for any of the topics which are new to your curriculum.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Invite theatre groups and speakers, especially ones that re-enact various battles or so on.
    You'd spend £800 on a couple of days!

6. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

7. HANR

HANR New commenter

Thanks very much, yeah, teachers have said they'd like artefacts and online resources ???

8. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

I would buy an appropriate timeline for each class. Come to think of it does anyone know of any good ones out there?
    I was looking at some outdoor clocks with Roman numerals. We do cross curricular work to help with maths.
    I always subscribe to the Historical Association some good resources and plans. In order to do those plans you need to have some good resources.

9. Ataplin

Ataplin New commenter

Check out planbee.com

10. HANR

HANR New commenter

Excellent, thanks. Just contacted planbee and bought HA membership .

11. eliot371

eliot371 New commenter

Guided reading books linked to your history topics - reception to year 6....?

12. HANR

HANR New commenter

Great idea, thanks !

13. KS2History

KS2History New commenter

Look at KS2history.com for planning and books - it is good for resources for some of the more unusual history topics of the curriculum like Benin and Shang Dynasty as well as things like Stone Age artefacts etc.

14. martianpoolwoman

martianpoolwoman New commenter

Yellow Brick Road Workshops do great workshops on Ancient Benin and Shang Dynasty as part of our Ancient Civilisations workshops. It also includes Maya, Egypt, Baghdad in the Golden age of Islam, Ancient Mesopotamia. Workshop prices vary but email for current prices.
    yellowbrickroadworkshops@hotmail.com