1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help me rescue my Christmas cake.

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by grumbleweed, Oct 27, 2020.

1. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Christmas cake cooked it today and it's out of the tin and looks very crumbly. I've not experienced this before. Anything I can do to help it before Christmas? I usually cool it, wrap it and feed it occasionally.
    It will taste great I'm sure but it's nice to be able to cut a slice not a chunk.
    Obviously losing my touch.

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Keep feeding it and wrap it up well in greaseproof paper then foil. Should be fine.

needabreak, Lara mfl 05 and Stiltskin like this.
  3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Large pieces of fruit or they were too dry? Do as @BelleDuJour says. It may crumble still when you slice it but you can reduce this my putting it in the fridge before hand.

needabreak and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

If all else fails, you can turn it into christmas cake ice-cream, I suppose. But good luck anyway!

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Mix brandy, sherry and glycerine together(proportions of 2,2,1), tightly wrap the cake, upside down in clingfilm, you'll need a removal cover on the bottom. Feed with the brandy mixture weekly. When you need to marzipan it, remove clingfilm at the last minute, brush warm, sieved apricot jam all over and tightly wrap the side in marzipan, then the top. It should hold together.