1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help me plan Mr W's birthday meal please....

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by wiemaranerlover, Jan 29, 2012.

1. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

Mr W's birthday is over half term. His desert island meal would be Chinese, which, with the exception of crispy duck, I find slimy and unappetising!

Can you suggest something that isn't slimy and doesn't include rice or noodles?

We have a good Thai grocery available which sells everything so obscure ingredients are not a problem.

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Do you want ideas/recipes for authentic Chinese food, WL, or more westernised Chinese food, such as you get in most takeaways and restaurants?
    How are you both with heat? Sichaun and Hunanese food are both great (I am slightly addicted to Sichuan food!), but can be scorchingly hot. Cantonese and Peking are closer to what we normally get in takeaways.

3. wiemaranerlover

Heat not a problem Nick. I'm not sure what I want as I've never cooked Chinese before (unless you count a stir fry!), so open to any suggestions. Nothing too difficult as it'll be my first attempt... if only Mr W's favourite was Italian or French or Indian or Thai or anything other than Chinese!

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Morrisons have a complete chinese meal for £10, including half a duck.
    Be lazy!!!!

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Cool - I'll post you up a few Sichuan recipes tomorrow, WL - off to bed as can't keep eyes open...up since the wee hours with an excitable baby!
    I'll get thinking...

6. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

You can have my recipe for crispy duck if you'd like? Although, I only use duck legs and not the whole duck...

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Please EG, I took advantage of the Sainsbury's half price duck legs.

8. wiemaranerlover

Yes please EG.

When I asked what he would like for his birthday, the response was "make me something", so it will be good to surprise him with Chinese - definitely romantic when I hate it!

9. egyptgirl

Crispy Duck (Warning - very slimming (!))
    First stage - Marinate 4 duck legs overnight in about 1tbsp of LIGHT soy sauce (must be light - doesn't taste right with dark), 2 chopped cloves of garlic and some chopped fresh ginger.
    Second stage - When ready to cook the legs (this is OK to do the day before), preheat oven to GM2 and place duck legs in a baking dish with marinade. Melt 1kg duck fat slowly in a saucepan. When it is all melted, pour it over the duck - you need to make sure it is fully submerged in the fat. Cover the dish in foil and put it into the oven. They need to cook for at least 90 mins or until the flesh is lovely and soft but I check them at the 45 min mark to check they are still covered in fat. Take the duck legs out of the baking dish (reserve fat for roasties!).
    Final stage - Preheat oven to GM4. Place the duck legs on a wire rack over a roasting tray then cook for about 40mins or until the skin is really crispy. You can shred the meat from the bone with a fork if you want or serve them as they are.
    I serve it with shredded spring onions, thin strips of cucumber, warmed Chinese pancakes and hoisin sauce.

10. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Thanks EG, where do you get the pancakes? I can't find anywhere locally and it seems such a faff to make them.

11. egyptgirl

I get mine from Waitrose, Lapin - they come in packs of 10 and are about £1.10 or something like that.

12. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Thanks EG, I'd better do a Waitrose delivery order then!! [​IMG]

13. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

*is craving duck pancakes now*