1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help me over my blond moment

Discussion in 'Primary' started by beethan31, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Hi all
    I'm new to KS2 (teaching year 3/4 in Sept) and would appreciate some advice on assessment. My school is very keen on sub-levels and so I've been trying to get my head round year 3/4 expectations early. I <u>know</u> that each child is different and I <u>do</u> teach to stages not ages, however my school still expects regular sub-level reports. This is my understanding of "national expectations":
    Year 1 = national expectation 1b (broadly within level 1)
    Year 2 = national expectation 2b (broadly within level 2)
    Year 3 = national expectation 2a/3c (expectation doesn't seem much higher than Y2 ??)
    Year 4 = national expectation 3c/3b (expectation doesn't seem much higher than Y3 ??)
    Year 5 = national expectation 3a/4c (doesn't seem much higher than what is taught in Y3/4??)
    Year 6 = national expectation 4c/4b
    So, do the levels broaden out in years 3/4? Or is there a lot more to consolidate/teach across KS2 generally? It sounds a daft question but having never taught KS2 before I just assumed that level 3 was Y3, level 4 was Y4, level 5 was Y5 and level 6 Y6!! I then quickly remembered that level 6 is secondary!!

Please help me over my blond moment??!!

2. Children should have made a full level between year 2 and end of year 4. So 2b in year 2, l 2a in year 3 and 3b for end of year 4. Another full level by end of year 6 whcih is a 4b.
    If they come into year 4 as a level 3 they should be a 4c by end of year 4 and then a level 5 by end of year 6.

Don't be surprised at the levels (too high) which the children have been given at end of year 2- nearly all of mine this year had "lost a sub level" over the summer holidays!

3. Thanks eal2 - it's beginning to make more sense now!
    To add to my confusion I'm doing 1:1 tuition after Easter with a Y3 pupil who is currently 2a and her target is 3c. According to national expectations she is fine!! But obviously it depends what she came up to Y3 with.

4. Exactly, she might be off track for her predicted level. Unusual that Y3 children are used for 1:1 tuition in my experience.

5. DFC

DFC New commenter

1:1 tuition is funded for some Y3 and Y4 children through ECAW. You might find the Every Child A Writer resources useful on what to work on to move the child up a sublevel.