1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help me go out with a bang :)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by roddywoomble, Jun 23, 2010.

1. roddywoomble

roddywoomble New commenter

I am getting ready for the morning and have my planning done, but I feel like it's a little bit boring to use with my Y5 class on my last da of teaching practise. I don't want to go out with a whimper, as we have done some quite interesting things recently. The learning objective I have for tomorrow's literacy lesson is 'reflect independently and critically on own writing and edit and improve it.' Now to put things into perspective, I am basing this lessons around the work we did on Tuesday, which had the objective 'Tell a story using notes designed to cue techniques, such as repetition, recap and humour' in which the class made notes which told the story of chapter 9 of 'the lion, the witch and the wardrobe,' from another character's point of view. Now as it stands for tomorrow I have the class reflecting on their work from Tuesday, and looking at texts where the authors have used humour and repetition to good effect, then coming up with a checklist for our writing (paragraphs, spelling, punctuation, adverbs, adjectives, effective use of humour and recap' and turning the notes we made on Tuesday into a story. Then for the plenary we are going to talk about what we have done.

This is all I could really think of based upon the story...can somebody please give me some advice on how I might make some improvements on this, as I want them to enjoy this last leson as much as the others!

Thanks,
    Shane

2. roddywoomble

I am getting ready for the morning and have my planning done, but I feel like it's a little bit boring to use with my Y5 class on my last da of teaching practise. I don't want to go out with a whimper, as we have done some quite interesting things recently. The learning objective I have for tomorrow's literacy lesson is 'reflect independently and critically on own writing and edit and improve it.' Now to put things into perspective, I am basing this lessons around the work we did on Tuesday, which had the objective 'Tell a story using notes designed to cue techniques, such as repetition, recap and humour' in which the class made notes which told the story of chapter 9 of 'the lion, the witch and the wardrobe,' from another character's point of view. Now as it stands for tomorrow I have the class reflecting on their work from Tuesday, and looking at texts where the authors have used humour and repetition to good effect, then coming up with a checklist for our writing (paragraphs, spelling, punctuation, adverbs, adjectives, effective use of humour and recap' and turning the notes we made on Tuesday into a story. Then for the plenary we are going to talk about what we have done.

This is all I could really think of based upon the story...can somebody please give me some advice on how I might make some improvements on this, as I want them to enjoy this last leson as much as the others!

Thanks,
    Shane

3. And there was I, from the thread title, thinking literally and scientifically, remembering how exciting it would be to get a cylinder enclosed by a cap, eg around old film container, buying some Alkaseltza (not sure if that is spelt right), put some water in the cylinder, put in half an alkaseltza, put on the cap and retreat.
    I'd make my exit that way, go out with a bang. I guess to do this in your weekly plan , I'd have to have included it in a rewrite of the story, to be acted out now, as I don't think it was in the original.
    Seriously, I read this post and felt how lucky I was to have gone through training pre NC. Also seriously, could some drama enactment be utilised in your plenary? (Try the one I suggested out at home first)

4. How about a range of percussion instruments - including drums going bang - so that different sound effects are added when reviewing some of the pupils work. Blow a raspberry if you spot a spelling error; oooh sound for good adjectives/adverbs, duck whistle (your school may not have one) for good humour, special rhythms for different punctuations etc.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Has the class read [or had read] the whole book?

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sory - I put ''Has the class read the whole story?' in the wrong place.It should have been at the end.

I ask this question because I'm interested in how far 'taster' anthologies have pushed whole books aside.

7. roddywoomble

Wow...this is an old thread! They did read the whole book. I think at the time, we were up to chapter 7. They finished the book with the class teacher after I left. Anyway, I didn't go out with such a bang - my lesson was cancelled for a trip in the end!