1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help me find a decent crime/mystery book without rape, torture or gore!!

Discussion in 'Book club' started by freckles88, Apr 7, 2012.

1. I have read a couple by Arnaldur Indridason, an Icelandic author all the books are set in Iceland, really good and not gory.

2. Hi,

Im the same! Some crime/mystery i would suggest is absolutely Harlan Coben - Ive read them all and they are ace!! Got a good edge and they can be quite humorous! His Myron Colitar series is fab!!! Also, for crime/ mystery that will only keep you awake because you can't put it down and with comedy/romance thrown in is Janet Evanovich - Stephanie Plum series - totally brilliant!

Hope you find this helpful!

3. Thanks elrae for recommending Gillian White - I'd never come across her before despite devouring crime novels for years. I got hold of Copycat last week and couldn't put it down!

4. Really? I found this book soooo dull! Continually going over and over the same tiny bits of the story from several different perpectives.
    I like Harlan Coben, mainly his Myron Bolitar novels.

5. Not similar at all but have you tried the No.1 Ladies Detective Agency series? Very gentle with sympathetic characters.
    CJ Sansom's Matthew Shardlake novels (set in Tudor times)
    If you like a bit of Nordic noir try Camilla Lackberg and Arnuldar Indridason.
    I would also recommend Fred Vargas (Parisian detective Commissaire Adamsberg)

6. daisyq07

daisyq07 New commenter

I am also looking for page turning suspenseful books that do not involve killing or murder. Did you read: Suzannes diary for nicholas? I am now reading the 5 people you meet in heaven(its not what you think) pretty good. I am not a big reader because I get bored easily. I like John gray and richard paul evans, nicholas sparks for suspenseful on the light side.

7. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

Jeffrey Deaver is good - lots of forensic detail.

8. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

My mum gave me that book. It was so beautiful and I pretty much cried throughout the whole thing.

I really love 'cosy crime'- Rebecca Tope, Elly Griffiths, Kate Ellis pop to mind.

9. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ah yes I read this - think I enjoyed most ot it but preferred his novel about Edison curiously - the title escapes me now !

10. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I’ve only just discovered Anthony Horowitz: The magpie murders, the word is murder and a new one just released.

11. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ahh - I loved The Magpie Murders and his two 'Sherlock' ones - The House of Silk and Moriarty ( the latter gave me an OMG moment ) . Could not hack his take on the Bond stuff though but am not a Fleming fan either .... The Sentence of Death was quite good - probably better than The Word is Murder which I though was ok ......am now tackling A God in Ruins but not as impressive as Life after Life at the moment - hope it picks up ? I have a long list of books I want from the local libraries and many are ' on order ' / out - I need to exercise some patience - ha !

12. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I've not tried his Bond books (i might when Ive finished his other stuff) but I have the Sherlock ones in my audio library watining for when Ive finished the Ruth Galloway series and a variety of others which are piling up:eek:
    Have only just discovered this thread. Thanks to all for the 'new' authors syggestions - I think I might be drowining in book atm:):)

13. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

Try Tana French's books - detective novels set in Ireland, with really good character development and a total lack of any of the typical plotlines, clichés and stereotypes that seem to come up in most crime fiction. One thing I really like about them is that they have a different main character for each book, with the main characters from other books playing a minor role - it makes it interestingly varied and the author is very good at writing from very different people's viewpoints.

14. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I found her hard work . Could not relate to the settings but that’s just me :(. Probably worth a go . Bizarrely just started a crime / thriller called ‘Death Notice’ written by a Chinese author and finished/ scanned a ‘ legal ‘ novel by John Fairfax ‘ ‘Blind Defence ? ‘ which was convoluted and I hated :eek: but not gory so may appeal too ?