1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help me find a decent crime/mystery book without rape, torture or gore!!

Discussion in 'Book club' started by freckles88, Apr 7, 2012.

1. I'm looking for a decent crime novel or author that I can get into that isn't all about blood and gore, rape and torture! My other half is sick of me waking up screaming in the night (and I'm not even joking - how tragic lol!)
    It seems these days near enough every crime book I pick up is all about gang members torturing one another, woman being kidnapped and raped or some sick person fiddling with children! I don't know if it's writers trying to be more sick or 'edgy' but what happened to a decent mystery that keeps you guessing but that lets you sleep at night I ask??
    Books I have recently enjoyed but that aren't about blood and gore are:
    - Into the darkest corner by Elizabeth Haynes. (And yes I know this was quite gory and had rape in it but the story was well written and centred a lot on the psychological element not just the attack)
    - Before I go to sleep by SJ Watson
    - What to do when someone dies by Nicci French

Can anyone reccommend something similar? Thanks! xx

2. I'm looking for a decent crime novel or author that I can get into that isn't all about blood and gore, rape and torture! My other half is sick of me waking up screaming in the night (and I'm not even joking - how tragic lol!)
    It seems these days near enough every crime book I pick up is all about gang members torturing one another, woman being kidnapped and raped or some sick person fiddling with children! I don't know if it's writers trying to be more sick or 'edgy' but what happened to a decent mystery that keeps you guessing but that lets you sleep at night I ask??
    Books I have recently enjoyed but that aren't about blood and gore are:
    - Into the darkest corner by Elizabeth Haynes. (And yes I know this was quite gory and had rape in it but the story was well written and centred a lot on the psychological element not just the attack)
    - Before I go to sleep by SJ Watson
    - What to do when someone dies by Nicci French

Can anyone reccommend something similar? Thanks! xx

3. I recently got into the Simon Serrailer (sp?) series by Susan Hill. They're much more gentle than the Girl with a Dragon Tattoo type books. They're detective stories, but have a human element in as well. I listened to them on audio book and thoroughly enjoyed them as a light and distracting "listen".

4. waikatoriv

waikatoriv New commenter

I recommend authors Donna Leon and Sue Grafton. Crime fiction, but not scary. Well written and enjoyable to read.

5. I hate gore and scary stuff but loved Harlan Coban, Kate Atkinson, Colin Dexter, Donna Leon.

6. [​IMG]

7. The Simon Serailler (sp?) series is very good indeed - thoroughly recommended.

8. I love Sophie Hannah! I've read the books you mentioned so I'm pretty sure you'd enjoy Sophie Hannah, too... :)

9. I also love Anne Cleeves 'Shetland Quartet' though I can't forgive her for what she did to Jimmy Perez. She'd better write another and put it right!

10. Agree about Anne Cleeves. When I discovered Nicci French, I ordered everything (s)he had written; same with S J Watson; when my youngest was born, I read everything by Gillian White - proper psychological thrillers; Stephen Booth is brilliant with his Ben Cooper series; Rosamund Lupton - Sister and another title, both totally gripping; then Sophie Hannah is good, too.
    Easy reading - Agatha Christie; and if you haven't read everything by PD James; Ruth Rendell; Barbara Vine; they are superb.
    I am liking this thread, as I ejoy the genre, and need new authors,too.

11. I'm saying nothing nemo!
    I have just finished a cracker of a book - Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes. It kept me awake until the early hours. Very good.

12. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I absolutely love the Charlie Woodend/Monica Paniatowski novels by Sally Spencer and am now reading the Peter Diamond novels by Peter Lovesey. Also love Ruth Rendell/Barbara Vine and Nicci French.

13. leadlearner

leadlearner New commenter

Love Nicci French- have you tried Deryn Lake 'death on the dark walk' John Rawlings series they are gentle historical murder mysteries with a fun lead character set in Georgian London. He solves puzzles - unlike Nicci French but gentle and fun.

14. thebigonion

thebigonion New commenter

The Erast Fandorin novels by Boris Akunin. A kind of Russian take on Sherlock Holmes.
    There's a small amount of blood and gore, but not much, the mysteries are enthralling and the characters interesting.

15. I reinforce the Ann Cleeves recommendation, especially the Shetland Quartet and the Vera Stanhope series. Ruth Rendell's Inspector Wexfords are great. I also like Peter Robinson's DCI Banks series, Elly Griffith's series (detective is Ruth something, can't remember her other name) and Ann Granger's Mitchell & Markby series. But my absolute favourites are Sue Grafton's alphabet series. I'm currently reading the latest "V is for Vengeance" and am horribly aware that there are only 4 more to go after this. I'm sure I'll think of more later.

16. On a different note - check out 'The Suspicions of Mr Whicher'. forget the TV version, the book is much much better and a great insight into the early days of the detective force.

17. 576

576 Established commenter

I'm less than 100 pages in but think The Sherlockian by Graham Moore might be suitable.

18. 576

576 Established commenter

Just finished & it could be just the ticket!
    A ripping good yarn.
    I thoroughly enjoyed it.

19. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I really enjoy the Lord Peter Whimsey stories by Dorothy L Sayers - non gory and amusing.
    I liked Arthur and George by Julian Barnes.
    Fingersmith by Sarah Waters was an interesting story.
    Enjoy!

20. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Oh and I'm reading a really interesting book at the moment - it's called 'An Instance of the Fingerpost' by Iain Pears.
    It's set in the 17th Century and told by 4 unreliable? narrators.
    Keeping me up late.