1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help me decode post-compulsory education courses/entry

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by alastlas, Feb 13, 2012.

1. I'm a PhD student in English Literature, due to complete shortly, and seek advice on entering the teaching profession in post-compulsory education.
    Can anyone explain to me what my options are, at this point in the year, in terms of applying to courses, schools, colleges, or any other routes in to PCET in teaching English? Further, what funding might be available, considering my high quality degree grades? I have teaching experience on undergraduate courses going back three years.
    I've looked into a number of routes and made tentative enquiries to local universities regarding training, but I've been bombarded with acronyms and not exactly been welcomed in to the teaching fold. There seem to be a bewildering variety of courses and options, a lot of which don't necessarily apply to PCET training.
    Further, what are the job prospects in FE? One of the primary reasons for my decision to consider other teaching routes is the fact that HE is changing in a way that does not necessarily encourage me about my academic future. I might have more security as a teacher outside the HE sector.
    I thank you in advance for any help you can give!

2. Nobody?

3. I'd recommend re posting this in the Fe forum- if you look on the forum main page you'll see it has its own section. Sorry that we couldn't be of more help, I know nothing about post compulsory, sorry!

4. I echo starbabycat in the sense that I know nothing about post compulsory!
    However, if FE is anything like applying for primary/secondary, you may need more recent experience before starting the course, like within the last 12 months!
    Sorry I can't be more help.