1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help me choose which evening course to do

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3946, Aug 21, 2012.

1. A. "The history of food and drink in England from the later medieval period to the early 20th century looking at changes in ingredients used and the way food was cooked and served. Paying particular attention to the largely self-sufficient country estate, we will also consider the costs involved in having the best and most elaborate food available for your guests."
    Costs £50, lasts 9 weeks and is 15 miles away from me.
    B. "A look at the ritual year in Tudor times and its associated traditions and customs. We ll explore the meaning and significance of these events to the peoples of the time and examine activities that are still the basis of seasonal celebrations today. A visit to a typical Tudor house is included (there may be an extra charge for the visit)."
    Costs £35, lasts 5 weeks and is 35 miles away from me.
    History is not my subject, this is just for sheer fun. I have an interest in Tudor history, but more court based.
    I can't do both, as I'm an NQT who won't get paid until the end of September. Both courses start in September.

2. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

35 miles is a long way to drive in the evening - 70 miles would be so tiring at the end of a long day at work. The first one is cheaper per week and the petrol costs will be less.

3. oggiehurler

oggiehurler New commenter

A = you will not feel like driving 35 miles after a full day teaching especially in your NQT year.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I'd love to do the first course, food history fascinates me. Is it too far away from Sussex?

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Why not do something fun instead?

6. I was thinking that. It's a shame, because I think if not for the travel, I'd have done B.
    Sadly, it is a way out from Sussex but you never know- someone near you may do similar!
    And this IS fun. For me. Miles more so than the numerous dance classes it threw out (and the winetasting classes are just TOO far away!)