1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Help me choose a distance learning course...and hello!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by zez, Dec 10, 2011.

  1. Hello, what a fantastic thread! Can anyone tell me how much the OU charge for the E111? And would it be suitable for a reasonably intelligent but non-degree educated person? Or should I stick to level 3 cert?

    For the person who said they probably won't be eligible for PT Student Finance have a look here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/DG_201800 there is a link to info about who qualifies - and there is no mention whatsoever of your current income.
  2. zez

    zez New commenter

    Well here's my update (re Home Learning College)! I'm now 8 months into my course and am on my last assignment and have completed all my practicals. My tutor is amazing...i have a direct phone line to her and she's been known to spend an hour at a time on the phone with me helping me with a tricky assignement or how to pass some practicals. I've had a page of A4 feedback per assignement and per witness statement so I know where I'm going right or wrong. I am seriously impressed for the price I've paid. So, an ofqual registered qualifcation and I can really recommend it.
  3. hyper1

    hyper1 New commenter

    Well I have taken the plunge and signed up to the OU, starting with the E111. I was advised against a level 3 course as the majority of courses do not award the full certificate which in my LA is the qualification that is recognised.

    I'm really looking forward to it and would welcome any advice from anyone who has recently completed it.
  4. I'm currently studying CACHE L3 AWARD in supporting teaching and learning in primary schools with STONEBRIDGE.
    The course is not exactly what I was looking for as I wanted more classroom based stuff instead of the background bits, but I'm enjoying it.
    I'm wondering what happens when I finish if STONEBRIDGE aren't offering the certificate........how will I do the optional modules to increase my qualification from an award to a certificate?
    I currently work as an sen TA and during my interview for this post, there wasn't any focus on qualifications, but I had been temping at the school for a while, so they knew how I worked.

    I've also studied an NCFE award in social care with children and families through STONEBRIDGE and didn't have any problems.
    I received the certificates quickly, but haven't shown them to anyone to check if they are legit or not.
  5. Just seen the new NCFE certificate supporting teaching and learning. Gutted they didn't have that one when I enrolled :-(
  6. I volunteered for 2 years at my previous school, did level 2 and level 3 diploma at a local college but still the head did not consider me for jobs that came up as she would rather employ qualified teachers!!! I guess this saved her paying more for supply staff!!! I now have a job in a very lovely private school !!
  7. Hi,

    I'm looking at becoming a teaching assistant but have absolutely no idea which to choose! I wondered if anyone had any experience with 'The Blackford Centre for Teaching Assistants', this is the course they do www.inst.org/.../become.htm

    I don't want to pay for a course and then find i've not actually got any qualification.

    Thanks, Sam
  8. Hi Sam.

    I am also looking into doing a course with The Blackford Centre for SEN. I am so confused!!! There are soooo many different courses out there but I have no idea which one to choose from. Have you already enrolled with them? If so, would you recommend them?

    I do not know which course to do. I am stuck with Blackford Center for SEN and Study House, Educational Psychology!!!!


    Thank you, Lucy
  9. Hi is this the stonebridge course that doesn't need a school placement the NCFE teaching assistant level 3. Sorry I'm a few years late!,,, just saw your post and wondered if you were still on here
  10. Juicy, I searched for weeks and finally found a CACHE level three distance learning diploma however you do need a school placement. It is run by riverside training in Spalding. A lot of other places do the awards and certificates and a lot more would have you believe their course qualify you when they don't!
  11. Hi I agree they are misleading. I did the Stonebridge l3 in 2010 and am currently completing a degree course but have found my L3 isn't valid so now complete ing the NCFE L3 award to get the l3 status as I already did a years work on a bogus qualification. Stonebridge are just profiteers

Share This Page