1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP - Marking Criteria

Discussion in 'English' started by bam53, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Hi, I have an interview at Nottingham University PGCE Secondary English and I have to mark a piece of work ( 'Tiny Tom' - KS3). Please can you tell me of any websites where there are clear marking criteria. I have obviously never marked pupils work before and need all the help that I can get.

Many thanks, in advance, Bethan

2. Hi, I have an interview at Nottingham University PGCE Secondary English and I have to mark a piece of work ( 'Tiny Tom' - KS3). Please can you tell me of any websites where there are clear marking criteria. I have obviously never marked pupils work before and need all the help that I can get.

Many thanks, in advance, Bethan

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Gosh, what a task to set before even starting a PGCE. Are you sure that they are expecting you to mark to any criteria? I expect they want to see you putting encouraging comments where you see something good (Good - you are starting sentences in different ways/effective use of simile/a good point - why do you think the writer used this? etc.) and helpful comments where something isn't clear ir is wrong. Point out errors that are repeated but don't point out every mistake and write some targets for improvement at the end (for example: You are using apostrophes accurately - now check commas and make sure that you don't use them when a full stop is needed.).

4. They want to check that we have put time into trying to understand marking criteria etc - I have been through it looking at speech patterns, gramatical errors, spelling, handwriting style, sentance tructure/paragraphs, clear view point, narrative use, use of tenses etc but have no idea of levels etc and I am not sure if we are expected to but thought it best to be over prepared than under!!!!

5. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Have you been told to think about national curriculum levels? Really, they are irrelevant for single pieces of work.

6. Hi, sorry for the delay in replying!!!
    No but we are supposed to look at the NC and marking criteria so that we have an idea of how to mark and undrstand what level the pupil is working at.
    Bethan

7. Is the piece of work writing (e.g creative) or reading (e.g a response to something that they have read and then answereda question on)?

8. Sorry, it's a piece of creative writing - 'Tiny Tom' - I have looked at marked work on the NC website and tried to follow the examples on there - how has punctuation been used, paragraphs, speech, coherence and linear etc - obviously because i have not yest studied how to mark text I am not 100% sure how to do it but I have given it a go.

I am thinking of adding something about how the student could improve the piece and also areas othe work that are well written etc.

I really apprecate people taking the time to help me, thank you Bethan

9. Saying how it could be improved is a must. I expect they will be looking to see if you are able to do the 'two stars and a wish' or 'praise sandwich' style of marking. Make sure you say what the student has done well before suggesting a target for next time. If the work is littered with spelling and punctuation errors, don't necessarily correct or highlight all of them, as the focus must actually be on whether or not they have achieved their objective, which is to have written a creative piece of writing to entertain (I assume).

Good luck with it.