1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Management training needed...

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by Jamessummerfield, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Jamessummerfield

Jamessummerfield New commenter

Hello teacher community,
    One of my appraisal targets is to attend a management within a school setting training. This would include things like effective strategies when managing staff, dealing with agencies effectively etc. I've looked everywhere but can't find anything relating to this subject. Does such a thing exist? Are there any training organisations likeley to provide this sort of thing? Your help would be much appreciated as the clock is ticking...

2. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

I think the best CPD you could have is called experience...

Discuss this with your line manager - opportunities to work shadow, take on a small project that impacts on the department, a part/whole cohort of students or whole school scenario.

Sometimes external courses will not necessarily know the distinctiveness of your school setting.

If your line manager suggested the course, surely they could recommend one to you?

caterpillartobutterfly and wanet like this.
  3. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

You could look at the subject organisation for your subject (e.g. The History Association, The Geographical Association) and see if they offer training. I've seen courses eg'From Good to Outstanding' and 'leading a successful department'. This might be what you're looking for...? I think it's unlikely you'll find management training at a school.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You do a NPQML or NPQSL or a masters in Educational Leadership.

To be frank you won't be able to learn all this in a day course!

I agree with the view that lots of experience before taking on a leadership role will give you the skills you need.