1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help levelling writing!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by whowhatwhy, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Am having a nightmare at the moment trying to level writing - not had to do this much in past as have been FS based but now KS1 and a little unsure. I wondered if anyone could help give me a few pointers on this piece:
    I hav slim on my bac and priculz To my 8 lez cach pepul I hav sharp Tef and cut dawn The Trez. I liv in The dep darc wudz and munch up The lefz.
    The child was describing a character she had created. I know (well am pretty sure) it is a level one but not sure if 1c/b/a.
    Any help? Or any good pointers on where to look for info? I am using APP grids but still a little unsure of these.
    Thanks

2. Am having a nightmare at the moment trying to level writing - not had to do this much in past as have been FS based but now KS1 and a little unsure. I wondered if anyone could help give me a few pointers on this piece:
    I hav slim on my bac and priculz To my 8 lez cach pepul I hav sharp Tef and cut dawn The Trez. I liv in The dep darc wudz and munch up The lefz.
    The child was describing a character she had created. I know (well am pretty sure) it is a level one but not sure if 1c/b/a.
    Any help? Or any good pointers on where to look for info? I am using APP grids but still a little unsure of these.
    Thanks

3. I would personally say 1c...I spent 4 hours levelling the writing from my year 1 class yesterday...had seriously had enough by the end! Head and deputy moderated a couple I was unsure on though and agreed with my judgement so that was good!

4. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Yes, agreed, this is a 1c. I've been teaching Year 1 and 2 for a few years and have levelled more pieces of writing like this than I care to remember.

5. Thank you so much for both replies! Hoping that I will get the hang of it the more pieces I do. Think most are 1c as they are similar but there are a few with more detail than this so hopefully those will be 1b or 1a.

6. You are welcome :) It gets quicker! I had a range from wa to 2c...with the vast majority on a 1b or 1a. The punctuation and spelling makes a big difference and the use of connectives and adjectives too!

7. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Well I think it's fantastic. You can imagine a whole novel written by that child becoming a bestseller for all ages.