1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP LESSON OBSERVATION!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dazzeldust, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Help I have a lesson observation coming up soon on year2 numeracy data handling. Has anyone got any good ideas for suggestions that I could try?

2. FAIRYDELL

FAIRYDELL New commenter

You need to come up with your own ideas first. You know your class and their ability. Put some thought into what you'd like to do and then ask for feedback/ideas.

3. Thank you so very much for your useful information you make a fantastic teacher! What a great help you are. What would we do without you?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Well what would we do with teachers who are incapable of planning a lesson? When OFSTED start doing no-notice observations and heads start doing no notice observations, what would you do then?
    An observation should reflect your day to day teaching and not be an all singing, all dancing attempt to dazzle the observer. Unfortunately some teachers spend ages planning a super lesson when they know they are going to be observed and it does not reflect what actually goes on in their classroom.
    Why do I think no notice observations are going to change the amount of "outstanding " teachers out there based on lesson observations?

5. I totally agree with Fairydell, does that make me excellent too? !!!

6. deeley

deeley New commenter

Well talk about biting the hand that was potentially going to feed you!!!

I also think YOU should perhaps suggest the ideas you've had, as it will tailor best to the experience and needs of the children in front of you. It's no longer just about you having an outstanding lesson on paper...it's about where your pupils start and finish the lesson

So the 2nd poster was simply asking the OP to narrow it down!

Absolutely no need for OP to reply in such a rude way.

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

As opposed to someone who doesn't have a clue where to start with devising a lesson for their own class?

8. Been said before but good and outstanding lessons are built on high quality AfL, taking the needs of the learners into account. The one off 'show' lessons (thankfully) will become a thing of the past as soon as some teachers wise up to this fact.
    How to get a good lesson in your own class? Start by looking at what they need to learn (and this will obviously be different depending on ability) and then teach it. Simple. The way in which you teach it and how you react to their understanding (in lesson AfL) will be the difference between good and outstanding in my opinion.