1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP Lesson observation need a really good lesson

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by littlemiss85, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Hi
    Im a PGCE student and I have my link tutor coming in next week to observe a lesson but he has chosen to observe my worst class and I really want it to be a good lesson.

They are a year 8 group bottom set with 90% of the pupils have 'general learning difficulties'. We are doing Buddhism and I have one lesson this week prior to the observed lesson to setup what I will be doing next lesson. We have looked at the life of the Buddha and the four sights, and looked at modern day versions. Now I can either focus on the enlightnement part of the story next lesson and then look at the idea of karma and rebirth in the observed lesson or I can do karma this week and then do something like four noble truths for the observed lesson.

Truthfully I just want them to behave and look like they are enjoying it. I have one pupil who constantly shouts out inappropriatley but today he was really good doing a poster - however whilst he was really good the rest got easily bored and disaffected especially those who aren't good at drawing. I want something that will get them all involved and interested but can still maintain behaviour. I think a lot of the behaviour problems are to do with problems engaging them.

Anyway any suggestions for this impossible query??????

2. Hi
    Im a PGCE student and I have my link tutor coming in next week to observe a lesson but he has chosen to observe my worst class and I really want it to be a good lesson.

They are a year 8 group bottom set with 90% of the pupils have 'general learning difficulties'. We are doing Buddhism and I have one lesson this week prior to the observed lesson to setup what I will be doing next lesson. We have looked at the life of the Buddha and the four sights, and looked at modern day versions. Now I can either focus on the enlightnement part of the story next lesson and then look at the idea of karma and rebirth in the observed lesson or I can do karma this week and then do something like four noble truths for the observed lesson.

Truthfully I just want them to behave and look like they are enjoying it. I have one pupil who constantly shouts out inappropriatley but today he was really good doing a poster - however whilst he was really good the rest got easily bored and disaffected especially those who aren't good at drawing. I want something that will get them all involved and interested but can still maintain behaviour. I think a lot of the behaviour problems are to do with problems engaging them.

Anyway any suggestions for this impossible query??????

3. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

what would you do if it wasnt an observation?

4. Starter - discussion with them on Buddhists believing life is like a circle constantly going round and round.
    The read through a piece on rebirth and karma
    Maybe show a clip of my name is earl (trying to get a copy)
    Then a karma worksheet about consequences
    The a fill in the gaps
    Plenary - question and answer session

5. I would do karma as there are lots of activities you could do - role plays they write themselves or you give them explaining karma, responding to a problem page writing as a Buddhist agony aunt relating karma in their answer, snakes adn ladders type gmaes with karma on them, sorting vcards - lots of stuff really.

6. Why not try using a slightly different approach?

Eg Co - operative learning; here they can work in pairs or small groups, they can talk and they feedback to each other

Your role:

provide them with some material in any form
    facilitate their learning
    help them out

- much less stressful and fun for everyone - including you

or the theatre of learning - where they experience RE
    you could do a meditation with them -- this will also help calm them and then they ould hpefully emulate an elightenment of sorts

Or what about the Wheel of life - matching up activity

There is so much you could do to make it more fun and interactive.

Just imagine how you would feel in their situation:

You know you are not that able and have been given that label

Yu often turn up to lessons weher you complete worksheet after worksheet which generally consists of fill in the gaps

You do not really want to be in the RE classroom anyway

Your job - grab them, inspire them and b different enough to do this without detracting from the essence of the teaching

7. That sounds great, definetley gona go for the karma. The co-operative learning stuff sounds good have you got any examples or further reading around it or any tips even.

Im a trainee teacher and my mentor just copes with them by giving them fill in the gaps and stuff, which in turn I against all my better judgement am now doing too simply because I'm running out of ideas and people to turn to.

The more info or tips I can get the better, and if I can return the favour in any meagre way then I will.

Thanks

8. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

If you do look at rebirth...

Collect a selection of candles....all different...light the 1st one....then the aim is to light all the other candles using the same flame...maybe use a 'dead' candle to transfer the flame.

Get the pupils to ask a question to the flame.
    What do the different size/shape candles represent etc?

Also have a look on restuff.co.uk as there is loads of stuff on there.

9. deut

deut New commenter

When I do the 4 noble truths and the 8 fold path I get them all to make a paper lotus flower( the simple kind children use to tell each others fortunes) they write the basic premises on the folds and then design their own mandala in the centre.
    They love it and the lotus flowers look really pretty at the end

10. Or.... Kisa Gotami is nice - listen to the story, empathise with her, explain what it is teaching....

11. Princess girl is right on the button with cooperative learning - especially the Kagan stuff; which I can't recommend highly enough as a practical methodology for really transforming learning & the experiences of your class (and for the purposes of observation you will look **** hot, for very little effort).

12. My apologies, I didn't realise that we had an auto censor to remove the word
    Good grief.

13. hockeysticks

hockeysticks New commenter

I think the other posts have come up with some good ideas re cooperative learning, but not sure if I would be able to get to grips with it in a week, or feel comfortable with experimenting in an observation.

I think you could go for a more structured approach ie true false questions to start with either written or using the to do thumbs up or down if you read them out. This could recap the very easiest ideas you've covered so far. If you had a story illustrating Karma, they could then either create their own similar story ( you could have examples of characturers they could use to put into a story about karma) They could also illustrate it with pictures. They could then explain how a good action would change the outcome. You could promise them they could act them out the following week.

14. Take a look at this site if you want to make lesson planning much much easier and lessons much more fun! A fantastic range of activities by a team of experienced teachers

www.teacherresources.741.com

(For those of you who think that this should not be posted here - we are only posting in threads that are relevant and in which we deem we could be helping - nothing against the T&C - we are not creating new threads and that is ok by TES. Anyway, the feedback we are receiving from this file is great. It is much cheaper than it will be when it goes into formal publication. Thanks for your time)

15. hockeysticks

hockeysticks New commenter

just wondered how you observation went, hope it went well

16. Well thanks, started of really good got a bit chaotic towards the end with the packing up and the plenary was a bit rushed but altogether good considering the class ie. class of 24 and 24 of them on SEN register.
    Thanks for asking, and thanks to everyone for their advice!

17. You could also try here http://www.free-teaching-resources.co.uk/re.shtmlif you are tuck for inspiration - it contains links to good quality free lessons so whether you use one or adapt another for your own use, it may be helpful to you

18. purplemonkey7

purplemonkey7 New commenter

You're 4 years too late on this thread I'm afraid! ;-)