1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! KS4 25min interview/observed Art lesson

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by workingdesigner, Mar 13, 2020.

1. workingdesigner

workingdesigner New commenter

Hi
    I have been working in industry for 20 years but have decided to return to teaching.
    I have been invited for an interview at a secondary school. As part of the process I need to teach a KS4 group a 25 minute art lesson.
    It will be based on an artist/craft person but as I haven’t taught for a very long time I could really do with some support/advice.
    What can I cover in 25 mins!! What should the children achieve in this time.
    Hope you can help. Thanks

2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I'm not sure as I'm not an art teacher-maybe one will be along.
    But I am sure that your need to ask for help for a 25 minute lesson on something as open ended as you suggest ought to make you reflect on your suitability for the job.

if, for example,you are successful at interview, are you then going to need to come here and ask for help with each lesson on your timetable?

My response is not as dismissive as it seems-it's a point worth considering. It's not actually about passing through an interview by taking tips an wowing; it's about delivering stuff of passable calibre four or five times over on a daily basis.
    If you can do that, then you can sort out the 25 mins at interview,surely?

TheoGriff likes this.
  3. howdoyoueatyours?

howdoyoueatyours? New commenter

Hi only just seen your post. Have you had your interview?

4. workingdesigner

workingdesigner New commenter

Hi yes I have. Unfortunately I was unsuccessful. But it was a great experience. As I previously mentioned I haven’t taught for 25 years so my lesson plan was really a projects worth rather than a short 25 min task!! So I think it was probably the worst lesson I ever taught!! But it gave me a taster of secondary school education now and what is expected. I still feel I have a lot to offer but I just need to figure out how I can gain teaching experience while working full time in industry so that I’m better prepared for any future opportunities. Any advice?

5. missmunchie

missmunchie Occasional commenter

Hi, I'm not an art teacher but an ex colleague and good friend of mine teaches art. When my daughter was struggling with her A-level, she suggested doing collages of different images. These can be cut from magazines etc. It's a really quick way to get ideas down. Also, because of the nature of some of the magazine images, you might come up with compositions you wouldn't have thought of otherwise. We really enjoyed doing them. My daughter is usually painfully slow at working and getting ideas down on paper. You could prepare lots of images for students to use beforehand. Introduce the topic by talking about artists who use this method. Show them some examples. Students wouldn't necessarily have to glue and paste images down but could select and place them on paper and discuss what works well etc in pairs.
    I also think that in an interview, they want to see how you interact with students. However, I also think they need to complete a short task.
    Regarding gaining more experience, try offering support and guidance online to IGCSE and A level students, even on a voluntary basis to begin with.