1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help kind people - division as sharing, Year 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by whodbeateacher, Nov 21, 2010.

1. About to introduce this to my (pretty sharp) Year 2s but am really struggling to think of a fun way to do it. I was hoping to focus on division as sharing (rather than grouping) for now. We've done lots of work on halves and quarters (shapes) so was going to introduce sharing between 2s and 4s to begin with.

Any ideas?

2. About to introduce this to my (pretty sharp) Year 2s but am really struggling to think of a fun way to do it. I was hoping to focus on division as sharing (rather than grouping) for now. We've done lots of work on halves and quarters (shapes) so was going to introduce sharing between 2s and 4s to begin with.

Any ideas?

3. I know it's not really what you've asked for but I've just created a 'Division by Sharing' bingo game which has been added here:
    http://www.year2maths.co.uk/calculating/calc3/interactive/shabingo/shabingo.htm
    Clicking on a division calculation highlights it so you can keep track of those that have been shown. Double-clicking on a division calculation removes the highlight if you make a mistake.
    Before you play bingo, you might like to show the children the different sets of pictures and get them to write the matching division calculation on whiteboards.
    I hope you find it useful.
    If you find or create any other great ideas, please post them here as I'm introducing the same topics to my own Year 2s this week.

4. I was going to do a bingo game but after I had actually introduced division and they were more comfortable with it.
    I am in need of some more interactive fun whole class activities other than practically sharing out objects which I do intend to do but I want something whole class too that they will be involved with and that will make an impact!
    Any ideas? [​IMG]

I also intend to do some division with remainders and some word problems too and use lots of practical resources.
    I want something an the outset which will get them immediately engaged and thinking WOW!

5. Try this link:
    www.topmarks.co.uk/Flash.aspx?f=sharingv2
    my class really enjoyed it!

6. Thanks that's a great site. I think my kids will like it too. I was also looking for something which is practical that they can actually get up and do as a class which demonstrates dividing.
    I will try this site too though.

7. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

I like the idea of getting up and doing something practical too. Maybe present a problem in the classroom that you would like the children to solve involving them and various equipment such as pencils, PE stuff etc ... whatever comes to hand. Another idea is to link this to a story you have been reading - use a character and setting from the story to create a sharing problem.
    Once you have done something altogether you could give each group a different division number sentence and some equipment and ask them to create their own division story. They could then share their stories and see if others can identify which division sentence they used.
    Have fun!
    Carrie [​IMG]

8. Oh brilliant that sounds great!
    I love the idea of using a story we have been looking at and creating a problem. The children will love help trying to solve the problem. They usually love helping!
    I think they learn concepts better when they are up and doing something rather than sitting there, so I am keen for them to get up and get moving so they remember the lesson!
    Thanks Carrie [​IMG]

9. Does anyone else have any other ideas? I am a little stuck.

10. Waiguoren

Waiguoren New commenter

11. Thanks for the division story. I will use it and let you know how it goes.