1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Just been given literacy coordinator role!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by smiley786, Dec 3, 2011.

1. smiley786

smiley786 New commenter

Hi,

Please can anyone give me any advice or tips. Where do i start? Current literacy coord is on maternity leave and does not want to be literacy coordinator when she comes back! I am also ICT coord. She has left some files which i need to sift through. Any help or advice from anyone will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

2. Crikey, ICT and Lit are too huge subjects to coordinate. I think I might have said 'no' to that one! Im afraid im not the Lit coordinator so can't offer you much advice!
    Do you have any idea of budget/next steps for the subject, and can you create an action plan?
    Speak to staff to audit resources.
    Are staff planning/assessing literacy well or can you research ways of making it more effective? What about phonics planning/tracking? What about guided reading planning/assessing?
    How are your individual reading books levelled? Do you use book banding across the school?
    Has the school recently taken on board any new literacy initiatives? We have just started using a lot of pie corbett ideas so have had a couple of staff meetings on using this.
    Decide what you are going to monitor this year - you are likely to need to do planning/work scrutiny and observations. Are you going to monitor speaking and listening? reading?
    How is handwriting taught?
    Does the literacy/handwriting policy need rewriting?
    There is an awful lot to get your head around but if your school has consistant approaches in place already, that makes life easier. If you can see lots of gaps for improvement, record these and then choose realisitc targets for an action plan for this year.
    Id set up a file with sections such as "Policies", "Monitoring", "Budget and Ordering", "Action"
    There is likely to be a Literacy consultant within your LEA that you can contact for advice - our new maths coordinator has just got help from our maths consultant who is coming in to support her.

3. Also, you will need to get your head around literacy assessment data - which you might not have had chance to do before.
    Speak to Y2/Y6 teachers in particular and ask someone to show you raise online if you dont already have access. Then look at results for the past 3 years in reading/writing and see if they are getting better or worse. You might need to look at vulnerable groups - how are SEN children achieveing in literacy? boys? EAL? etc.
    I dont want to panic you here, you can only do one thing at a time, just a list of what comes to mind when I think of our Lit coords!

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I think it would be useful if you could be released to just take a look at how literacy is being taught throughout the school. Unless you have been in every year group it's sometimes difficult to get a clear picture of things.
    Reading and Phonics are the "hot" issues at the moment so get a clear picture of these ... perhaps listen to a handful of readers in each year group as this is what Ofsted will be doing in future... how is phonics being assessed now as the Y1 test will be with us.

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I became Literacy co-ordinator in January and this is what I have mainly been doing. I spent most of the phonics match funding on decodable reading books (Floppy's Phonics as we already have ORT) and ensuring everyone is up to speed with phonics teaching and assessment. I am a Reception teacher and this is my area of expertise, if I was used to Year 6 I suppose I might have been looking at it from a different angle.

6. smiley786

smiley786 New commenter

Letterland or jolly phonics? Which one do you use and why?

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Personally, both. But that's probably because (being quite mature in age) I was around when these started up and because as a supply I might need both.
    I like the worksheets and the kinaesthetic element to Jolly Phonics ( which incidentally I also have and use in French) and the continuous story element to Letterland.

8. Hi smiley786
    Literacy + ICT = Spellathon. Check www.spellathon.net. It offers free spelling games for schools and many more free digital resources. Let me know what you think.