1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help!!!, Jobless and I just don't know what to do anymore.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by CarolineBickerstaff, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Hi, I qualified last July (2010) from Exeter University, during my time there and ever since I have applied for any PE job in the South West of England. I am tied to the region by personal commitments and it would be very difficult for me to leave.
    Every job I have applied for but not had an interview from I have requested feedback, everytime I get the same reply lack of experience, someone had more experience than I did. I'm currently doing supply, but desperately want my own job. I just don't know what to do???
    I totally love teaching and don't want to abandon my dreams, but I'm getting to the stage of wondering whether there is anything else I can do or whether I should give up. Please help in any way, I feel I am losing my way!!
    Thanks for taking the time to reply

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm an Exeter Graduate myself, and it's a lovely part of the country.
    Which is part of your problem; people tend to stick when they get a job there, so there are a lot fewer vacancies than in some other places.
    I shouldn't put much store by feedback; people just want to say something that they can justify, so lack of experience is what they tell you. Feedback is pretty useless in most cases, although you occasionally get the odd helpful bit. But not in your case.
    Point 1 Are you following the advice in the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread?
    Lots of posters have found it gets them interviews - and jobs. Headteachers say that they appreciate candidates who do what I advise.
    Please take Theo's advice!
    taking Theo's Advice
    The benefit of an executive summary
    read theo's advice and do the executive summary people, it really does work, seriously!!!!
    Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview
    Point 2 Are you making the most of all the advantages that come from doing supply? Some applicants tend to be apologetic about supply; you should present it as a positive.
    Dear Theo- work history too bitty and too much supply- help!
    Point 3 And finally, if all has failed because you are already doing all this, then you should be thinking of getting on a train to come to the seminars on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Going to a seminar has worked for many posters
    Dear Theo.....I got the job!!!!!
    Good luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

3. I feel exactly the same as someone who is just about to qualify in Food Tech. I went into teaching knowing it didn't mean a guaranteed job at the end, but I hoped there'd be a chance. Like you I'm committed to my area, the north west, got an interview when I just wasn't ready (hadn't even started the second placement of my PGCE) and, even though I get through to the final interview stage screwed up and didn't get the job. I'm trying to see it as a learning experience but I'm not even getting through to interview now... not that's there's anything to apply for right now...
    I'm so anxious about the future; I need a job but I'm anxious about supply work as you can only do it for 18 months, I don't know what to do about work in the meantime - I don't want to go back to part-time in a kitchen, I did this so I would be doing something worthwhile. No one's going to employ someone who's going to run off at the first sign of a teaching job, it's really getting me down, I just don't know where to go from here...

4. missgeo

missgeo New commenter

I'm in the same position in the north-west but have had to make the tough decision to apply for non-teaching jobs because I need to put food on the table at the end of the day. Hopefully I'll get something that allows me to also try for some supply.

In the end, schools in the area will know what the job market is like, so if you say "well there were no jobs", I'm sure they will understand.

5. Hi Theo,
    I was wondering whether it would be possible for me to send you my standard covering letter and personal statement?? For you to look over and make any suggestions you can think of for improvements??
    Thanks Caroline

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well Caroline, if I said "Yes, send it to me", what do you think would happen?
    Mrs TG would never get her lawn cut, that's what, because several thousand other Tessers would ask the same!
    But I guess that you knew that it wasn't really possible when you asked . . .
    Kind regards

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.

Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.

See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

7. Hi, me again I qualified in July (2010) from Exeter University, during my time there and ever since I have applied for any PE job in the South West of England. I am tied to the region by personal commitments and it would be very difficult for me to leave.

Every job I have applied for but not had an interview from I have requested feedback, everytime I get the same reply lack of experience, someone had more experience than I did, your not what we are looking for or you don't match our criteria (even though i seem to) I'm still currently doing supply, but really really desperately want my own job. I just don't know what to do???

I totally love teaching and don't want to abandon my dreams, but I'm getting to the stage of wondering whether there is anything else I can do or whether I should give up. I'm so unhappy now on supply but have no idea what to do instead or how to escape the rutt. Please help in any way, I feel I am losing my way!!

Thanks for taking the time to reply

8. Hi Caroline
    I don't think you are going to like what I have to say, but I wanted to share my experience with you. I graduated from Exeter in July and saw every member of my class bar me get a job in time for September. They were all mobile whereas I was not, having three children in school in one of the more remote parts of Devon. I applied for everything going within a half-way feasible commute - and that was very little. By Christmas I had totally lost my confidence - even the supply agencies weren't coming up with any work at all. I discussed things with my family and we made the decision that I should apply for jobs in the south-east for September 2013. I started applying a fortnight ago and last week I was offered an interview at a lovely school and got the job (after taking all of Theo's excellent advice!).
    OK, now I am faced with uprooting our family, selling our house and moving 200 miles - and I'm not under the illusion that it is going to be all plain sailing - but I have my confidence back again. Continually getting knocked back really destroys your sense of self-worth, but it's not you - there really aren't any jobs here. Is it really impossible for you to move? PE is not my subject, but I can't help feeling someone who is clearly as dedicated as you sound would be able to get a job if you could get out of the south-west.
    The very best of luck to you.