1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP! Job role clarity, no renumeration! advice on letter to management

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by suburban_i, Jan 20, 2012.

1. suburban_i

suburban_i New commenter

Hello,
    Ok, so in a bit of a pickle. I am currently working as a Sociology and RE teacher in a secondary school. since i have been here (2 years) i am the only sociology teacher in the school therefore teaching all of the classes, managing the subject, exam meetings, student progress, schemes of work, taster lessons, resources and ultimately being held accountable for the students.

Now i realise that as a teacher it is my repsonsibility however, this is not stated in my job role and i was not employed on the basis that i will be practically running the department. There is no recognition by HR/management and they are not renumerating me in any way. I am merely still just getting the normal mainscale salary.

Now, there are other parallels within the school who are offer gcse subjects such as business studies etc, who are the recognised 'heads of subject' and are gettng paid for it, yet all my effort and hard work is going unoticed.

My NUT rep has said i need to put this into writing but that is what im struggling with so please could someone kidnly help,this is stressing me out and its been two year now! i want it sound progessional and articulate and need some help in right direction!

many thanks

saira :):):):)

2. suburban_i

suburban_i New commenter

Hello,
    Ok, so in a bit of a pickle. I am currently working as a Sociology and RE teacher in a secondary school. since i have been here (2 years) i am the only sociology teacher in the school therefore teaching all of the classes, managing the subject, exam meetings, student progress, schemes of work, taster lessons, resources and ultimately being held accountable for the students.

Now i realise that as a teacher it is my repsonsibility however, this is not stated in my job role and i was not employed on the basis that i will be practically running the department. There is no recognition by HR/management and they are not renumerating me in any way. I am merely still just getting the normal mainscale salary.

Now, there are other parallels within the school who are offer gcse subjects such as business studies etc, who are the recognised 'heads of subject' and are gettng paid for it, yet all my effort and hard work is going unoticed.

My NUT rep has said i need to put this into writing but that is what im struggling with so please could someone kidnly help,this is stressing me out and its been two year now! i want it sound progessional and articulate and need some help in right direction!

many thanks

saira :):):):)

3. ...unfortunately, this kind of exploitative behaviour goes on regardless in many schools where staff, especially newly qualified or less experineced staff are imposed upon.
    ...it sounds like you are indeed being placed upon far too much and if the role you are in is not being clearly defined then this needs re-addressing by your school.
    ...first, you must greater advice/input from your Union, thats why you pay your subs
    ...secondly, draft up a letter along the lines of Dear Mr/Mrs Bloggs, I write with reference to my current post as Sociology teacher at Bloggs School and would like to raise some points with you about the role as soon as possible...THEN...list the issues you have, e.g. I wasnt expecting to be running the dept or words to that effect
    ...try out different draft letters...the point here is that you are being taken advantage of and at the very least you should be getting TLR points to reflect your position.
    ...make the letter to the point but written in a respectful manner.
    ...dont be surprised by a SURPRISED reaction from SMT. I mean most know what they are doing in situations like yours and they do take the P$$$, but they may/will deflect your issues in a number of ways, e.g. what did you expect the role to involve?
    ...they will make you feel guilty...thats a GURANTEE!, but state your case, especially as you feel the role is not commensurate with your current pay
    ...ask, doesnt my role attract a TLR point to reflect the post?
    ...SMT, rarely, if ever, stick to job descriptions as by there very nature job roles can and do fluctuate.
    ...that said, you could take the bull by the horns and simply state my role doesnt reflect the job description, or, as I would, take a more diplomatic stance by respectfully asking for a meeting asap to discuss your concerns

4. Saira - you may wish to consider a couple of things:
    1) You are saying you are paid as a mainscale teacher only - yet a quick search under your name shows you on linkedin as stating yoiu are Head of Sociology - I wouldn't write anything factually incorrect such as job title etc when so obviously can be viewed by SMT etc...
    2) Change your username - and get this thread pulled now!!! Imagine SMT's opinion on reading this tonight!!! Won't do you any good...

Good luck with the money - but don't bank on receving anything....

5. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Paragraphs 23.1d and e of the STPCD for 2011 make clear what criteria need to be satisfied for a TLR.
    Please get this thread pulled. You are too easily identifiable.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

VERY easily. A quick search on google enabled me to find you and your school with very little effort.

You might be the only sociology teacher in your school, but the subject is only taught in KS4, so you only actually teach the subject to two year groups (11-16 school). So you plan and organise the learning for the classes you teach, which is an optional subject with no coursework.

I'd be stunned if someone doing your job DID get a TLR.

This should help you see why you are not entitled to a TLR.

Before awarding a TLR the relevant body must be satisfied that the teacher?s duties include a significant responsibility that is not
    required of all classroom teachers and that-

(a) is focused on teaching and learning;

(b) requires the exercise of a teacher?s professional skills and
    judgement;

(c) requires the teacher to lead, manage and develop a subject
    or curriculum area; or to lead and manage pupil
    development across the curriculum;

(d) has an impact on the educational progress of pupils other
    than the teacher?s assigned classes or groups of pupils;

and
    (e) involves leading, developing and enhancing the teaching
    practice of other staff.

d and e are the parts that you do not do. As well as 'significant responsibility that is not required of all classroom teachers'.

I'm sorry but I agree with your school entirely.