1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Job and interview dilemma

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rooney1, Feb 29, 2012.

1. rooney1

rooney1 Occasional commenter

I am applying for jobs at the moment. I have got two interviews coming up next week but now a job has been advertised at a school I would really like to work in. What should I do? I know there is not an easy answer. Should withdraw from the two interviews and apply for the job I want and hope I get it - which is a risk - or is it better to go to the interviews - and if I am lucky enough to be offered a job should I take it? Why is life so difficult sometimes? Any advice would be helpful. I can't afford to not get a job for September.

2. Take the interviews! Unfortunately interviews and jobs are not that easy to come by!

3. Personally, I'd apply for the school you like as well and attend the interviews if you're short listed. It will make you more desirable if you can say, yes I have 2 other interviews elsewhere. As long as you don't make any verbal commitments on interview day, there shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck!

4. Same dilemma here. It's a serious risk but one I had to take- I'd hate myself if I passed up the chance to work at this school. If I don't get it, I'll just plough on with applications elsewhere, but I have to give it the shot.
    I'll admit- mine is not the sensible approach; it's based on pure emotion. I spent hours hashing it out with two people who know me VERY well, as well as discussing it with my non-subject mentor.

It can only be your choice at the end of the day- you need to weigh up both carefully.