1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help ... I've lost my mojo!!

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Stedders, May 16, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I haven't been on here for ages, but I really need some help.

I've been teaching since 1998, and in the same job since 2001, and I feel I've really lost the will to do the job anymore, but this is hardly the right time to go job-hunting, and I don't feel I'm in the right frame of mind for it anyway.

Anyone been in this situation and found a solution where they stayed in teaching, and maybe even in the same job? I'm at a decent school, although Y8 and 9 classes are ... challenging this year, they are for everyone. I just feel really deflated and KNOW that I'm not doing the job as well as I could be. Depressing, and a vicious circle!

Thanks in advance

2. This may not be what you want to hear, but as a PGCE student struggling with my Y8's and 9's this makes me feel better.

Sounds like you need a mental break from the vicious circle! Try mixing things up a little before half term, then enjoy the week to think and do anything but school!!!
    PS the fact that is bothers you so much shows that you still care, so ther must be some drive still in there!

3. Thanks CW,

I suppose you are right with your last point, but I can't help but wonder how much of what's left is the need to pay half the mortgage and bills!!

4. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

Is it possible for you to take on something different in your school next year which will be new to you e.g. EPQ or teaching a different subject. A change is often as good as a rest and may help you get out of your rut

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I often find the mojo gets stuck under piles of marking!
    P

6. i feel a little bit the same, and think a major factor in this has been controlled assessments in my subject, MFL, which are the pits.

7. Really good CPD can help, I often find that having your head stuck in the daily grind doesn't give you a chance to look up, reflect and see what else is out there. Is there a certain passion you want to explore?

If school won't fund it, you could always try Teachmeets etc for inspiration.