1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! I've just started with a new class in the middle of term

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by mbc11, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Hi, I've just got my 1st job as an NQT last week and start on Monday. The problem is the last teacher left suddenly and no-one seems to know what the class has been doing. So I'm going in cold. I'm particulary concerned about Literacy. They have been doing information texts apparently but ideally I need something to help me find out what they have done so I can take it from there. Any ideas anyone?

2. Hi, I've just got my 1st job as an NQT last week and start on Monday. The problem is the last teacher left suddenly and no-one seems to know what the class has been doing. So I'm going in cold. I'm particulary concerned about Literacy. They have been doing information texts apparently but ideally I need something to help me find out what they have done so I can take it from there. Any ideas anyone?

3. marniott

marniott New commenter

Sorry for the late reply and I hope it isn't too late!!

I would say you could almost start at the beginning with the class. By that I mean if they have done it already then you can say it is "revision" and if they haven't covered it then it would be new learning. I think a couple of late nights looking through the books and resources at school will help you get to grips with the work they have started to look at.

If the SMT are any good they will realise that you are NEW and that it takes a few weeks (or months even!!) to get settled in.

Good luck and let us all know how you go on!

4. j_pink

j_pink New commenter

Hi mbc. I just wanted to say good luck for your new post and I agree with previous post to spend some time looking through their work before starting a fresh anyway. I am reading Sue Cowley's "what to expect in your first year of teaching"and some of the advice based on the dreaded first lesson is very useful indeed. I liked the idea of having the first lesson based on classroom etiquette, behaviour expectations; rewards and how to get them and learning names etc. I too will be starting half way through the year at Easter (well, more than half way...bring on the summer hols!) but I have a 4 month old baby so I think I may need those holidays.[​IMG]