1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP! I've just been made PE coordinator and have no idea what to do!!

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by vicky_home, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Hi

I'm new to teaching and have just been made PE coordinator. I have no idea what to do for it and have never even seen an action plan before. Can anybody help me

Thanks

2. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

All too common these days, especially in female dominated schools, the more experienced teachers shotgun the literacy and leave PE to the new teachers. Why? Because the experienced teachers don't have a clue about PE.

You need a scheme of work, go LCP. Kick and scream for the money, if they are going to put you in a role with no experience then they need to stump the cash. Check out courses with your LEA, again your school should show the money. if your school is signed up to a sports partnership get help from them also, I hate the partnerships but if your school has paid to be part of get your money's worth.

3. If I was offered or made Head of any subject I wasn't qualified for, I think I would say so and refuse.
    Still, it's only PE isn't it? Can't be that difficult, eh?

4. funkygirl

funkygirl New commenter

Contact some of your main secondary feeder schools who should have a teacher release to support with transition. Do you know who your local School Games Organizer (SGO) is? Under the old School Sports Partnership there should be a =n SGO in yor area who is involved in the run up to the school games for your city wide area.

5. Yes, Check if you have a scheme. There are a number of commercial ones including LCP, Sabin, RCS. A number of LAs produce them as well - Devon,Suffolk, Cambridge to name 3. Check if your La produces one. You can get the commercial ones on approval.
    You need an inventory of PE equipment. Do you need to replace/acquire more equipment?
    What is the LTP? Do you have coverage of the different strands (see NC)? Are the 4 areas being covered (see NC)?What ARE the staff teaching?
    Is enough PE being done? Used to be that schools should do 2 hours per week. But the demise of SSP has ceratinly taken the focus away from that. Many schools only do 1 hr. Token gesture. Ticked box.
    Some places insist on an assessment scheme but many more probably don't. To generate enthusiasm amongst the kids, Award schemes can work well with some games/gym/swimming. The 4 areas would need to be assessed if assessment is required by the school (see old QCA for a start).
    That would be enough to keep you going. After that-competitions/teams, after-school/lunchtime/before school clubs, (outside agencies, staff, parents to run?), quality of teaching,training for yourself/other staff (money?!)

6. OP's going to love this.
    Bet you wish you'd gone for Head of humanities...
    [​IMG]

7. Well it takes just as much work to become a pe teacher maybe it's just something you don't have an in-depth knowledge about so you shouldn't really comment in such a disrespectful and arrogant way and offend people

8. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Who is your comment aimed at?

9. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Probably aimed at me.
    I offend people by tellingthe truth. I don't have a survey to cover it all up and make it look good (89% of pupils have more PE than 5 years ago etc).
    Don't know then how we describe the large number of primary teachers up and down the land who refuse to teach PE. They must be angels, first class teachers.
    Schemes are there, written in black and white, endless courses to go on, so please don't start saying that I am disrespectful and arrogant. I know many children who suffer because their teacher 'doesn't do PE', that is being disrespectful.

10. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

11. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Feel like I'm missing out,
    Bumpty bumpty bump

12. Well done to all those posters who made any sense of this at all. I have no idea what danielle is trying to say.