1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help; is this really possible?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by 911turbo, Apr 4, 2012.

1. I hope someone will kindly read and answer this as I am feeling rather stressed!
    I have been very fortunate to get a job in a college teaching A' level (my pgce is post 16) but I am classed as a supply teacher so only temporary but to basically help them out of a hole as they couldn't find anyone else at such short notice. There is a chance I can be properly employed as a full time teacher in September (if I pass the trial period I suppose!).
    I only teach two days a week but the problem is this...
    I got my degree in 1997 (so a while ago!) and my pgce in the last couple of years. All I have really done is teach privately with the job market being so bad.
    As you are aware, A' level students are basically at revision time now, building up to their exams in the 'summer'. In other words, I have to know the syllabus pretty well for both AS and A2 and I have no idea how they have been taught; any of the groups that I need to teach.
    The sixth form year head is aware of my limited experience but I am just beginning to freak out slightly! I have the syllabus and even though I know my subject, I do know what they need to know but I don't know it if that makes sense! In fact, I'm quite sure that if I sat the very same A' level either AS or A2 I would fail!
    I have been working really hard, going through everything, getting resources together, trying in vain to get facts, studies and figures into my brain but I know full well that I just won't know it that well by the time they go back in the middle of April. I have to devote all of Easter to getting my act together which I don't have a problem with, it's just I'm not sure if this is a good idea, if you can appreciate. My knowledge will be lacking, no matter how I look at it, and therefore my confidence too.
    I like challenges but this one involves trying to know an entire syllabus in two weeks which is obviously impossible.
    In terms of what they will be doing first, or revising first, I don't know and won't know till I begin so it aint looking too bright :-(
    Any helpful advice would be very much appreciated.

2. I would post this on the relevant subject forum. Your first week you will establish where they are. My A2 class have one exam in June and I still have half the unit to teach. I am surprised to see you say they are on revision. I will finish teaching in the next month-six weeks and move on to revision. My exam is case study based so I have planned around this. Is there a scheme of work in college? If not can you get one from TES resources or a forum. Rather than learning facts and figures I would rahter look at the sow and see what outcomes I need them to meet. Revision itself - lots of past papers and there is a very helpful set of revision notes with extra questions in my subject for extra revision. First lesson I would take in a tick list with the main subjects on and a list like I can do this confidently, I can do this, I don't understand this and ask them to assess themselves. Again dependant on the subject you might be able to pinch one from tes resources. look for a one off lesson to go in with where they can get to know you and vice-versa. I would go through Tes Resources by Post-16 subject and choose one with 4 or 5 stars - even if they have done it it should be fun and engage them - and congratulations and good luck! Sixth form teachings is ace - one of my colleagues described it as her sanity teaching.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

First you need to find if they've sat any 'mock exams' which have identified 'gaps' in the curriculum. Try and do some sort of assessment in the first couple of days to see where their knowledge<u> is </u>secure and then you can start planning a revision timetable plan. Could you make a self-assessment sheet of the main areas which they need to know and get the children to self assess; feel secure we've covered this, we've coverd this but didn't undertsand, haven't a clue what this is, type questions to give some sort of heads up?