1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help! is this innapropriate?

Discussion in 'Science' started by MrsF09, Jan 22, 2011.

1. MrsF09

MrsF09 New commenter

Hi,

I have an interview on Monday and the lesson im teaching is cosmology the big bang. I wanted to start the lesson with a video of the bare naked ladies song "The big bang", the problem is it says and the word appears as text 'asses' in the line about the dinosaurs freezing their asses off. Is this a total no no?
    I though this would be a great starter to engage the students, they are a year 10 triple group. The link is below:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhTSfOZUNLo
    Any opinions please let me know.
    Thanks!

2. MrsF09

MrsF09 New commenter

Hi,

I have an interview on Monday and the lesson im teaching is cosmology the big bang. I wanted to start the lesson with a video of the bare naked ladies song "The big bang", the problem is it says and the word appears as text 'asses' in the line about the dinosaurs freezing their asses off. Is this a total no no?
    I though this would be a great starter to engage the students, they are a year 10 triple group. The link is below:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhTSfOZUNLo
    Any opinions please let me know.
    Thanks!

3. chemroger

chemroger New commenter

I think it is fine and will give you an impact intro.
    If there was an objection I would think twice about working there.
    Good luck

4. MrsF09

MrsF09 New commenter

Thanks! i tought it would be a good novel way to start the lesson....make the kids remember me?!

5. Do you know what the ethos of the school is? As you worry that this song might upset someone, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. After all, who gets it in the neck if someone (parent? governor? local newspaper?) complains?
    Answer - probably not you. Therefore you are putting at risk the good name of the class teacher, head of department, headteacher, board of governors, etc.
    If you get the job, try it next year (preferably after asking for advice). If people complain, YOU can be disciplined/sacked for poor judgement. If it is a roaring success, breathe a sigh of relief.
    Sorry if this all sounds draconian, but if you have any worries about doing something then don't do it.

6. chemroger

chemroger New commenter

Not only draconian but well over the top.
    The chances of this causing offence are almost nil.
    I agree that you should take the school ethos into account. If they are totally anal then the chances of causing offence does increase to a little more than nil.
    Again if it is a school where this causes offence then think very carefully about whether the job is really for you. I know I would run a mile!!
    Go for it play the video.

7. I wouldn't either. At an interview, surely you would err on the side of caution. It is unlikely to cause offence, but would you risk it?

8. Orion

Orion New commenter

Obviously no!
    What would parents say if y ou said the word "asses". I would not be impressed and neither would they.
    Not sure why you are asking!

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Can you stop the song before getting to that part?

If not then a definite no in my book. As Orion wrote, think about what you could say in class and make sure nothing you show, give out or write contains anything you wouldn't say.

10. How about finding a different version on Youtube that doesn't have the words on screen? I just watched one on there myself. The word that we're all debating is said so quickly that without it written on the screen would anyone really notice? or like minnieminx says perhaps stop the song at that point. Or even download the video, and maybe in Windows movie maker edit it so that frame is skipped?

11. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFy5FN06_zU&feature=related
    this is the other version I found.