1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Help - invoicing

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by GelPen, Jan 21, 2016.

  1. GelPen

    GelPen New commenter

    I recently left a school, and they have asked me back for supply.

    I expected to be on their PAYE to be honest, but after my first day of supply, I was asked to invoice them.

    Do I need to be a limited company to do this?

    As much as I want to work in a school where I know my way around, I can't really face the hassle of this and might just go through an agency instead. I can am only doing one day a week (if that) as some extra cash to help with a career change.

    Thanks in advance for any advice.
  2. PizzoCalabro

    PizzoCalabro Established commenter

    Speak to them again.
    I am with some direct schools now (all PAYE). One of them had not done this before and asked if I wanted to be invoiced or on PAYE. (Their PAYE person did not want the hassle and preferred me to invoice them). I said to the school business manager that as I was not set up as a company invoicing was not possible, so he insisted they fill I the forms so I was PAYE.
  3. pepper5

    pepper5 Star commenter

    Hi GelPen

    You do not need tombs a limited company to do this and once you create your invoice template on your computer, it will only take a few minutes to create an invoice. It will be worth it to you in the end tomavoid having to deal with agencies.

    Look on the internet for a template for an invoice and download one you want to use. On an invoice you number them starting with 1. The next invoice number will be 2 and so on. Other information you put on your invoice will be your name and address and the name and address of the school. On the bottom, youncould put your payment terms. For example, payable within 14 days or whatever. Include your bank account number and sort code so the school can pay you by bank transfer.

    At the end of the tax year, simply get a bookkeeper to file a self assessment form for you if you don't feel confident to do it yourself. To get someone to do it for younshould be about £75 or a bit less.

    Don't go through an agency unless you absolutely have to.
  4. pixiewixiepixie

    pixiewixiepixie Occasional commenter

    Under no circumstances use an agency. You will be giving them 2 days pay for every 5 you work, and for nothing!

    As above, just open you Word document, put your name and address and date, add a line saying "Supply from x to Y @ £200 per day, total amount payable by Z is £XXX.

    Sign and date it and hand it in.

    Most schools will also want a timesheet signed by you and the Head of Department. It's just a list saying what days you worked, and a signature that says the HoD agreed you worked those days.

    Why not ask the Finance Department exactly what they want and then give it to them???
    pepper5 likes this.
  5. GelPen

    GelPen New commenter

    Thanks all.

    It was the tax that was worrying me, but £75 for a consultant sounds fine.

    Should they be paying me to scale?

    They have not offered me that. I left on good terms with a spotless appraisal record.
  6. pepper5

    pepper5 Star commenter

    Hi gelpen

    £75 for a bookkeeper is just a quess. It might be a bit more.,That is what I pay, but call a few bookkeepers tomget a quote. Your tax affairs should be simple enough.

    The school can pay you whatever they like and you can charge whatever you like, so you have to negotiate. Are you going to have to plan and mark or just teach? Going through an agency, you would make at least £130, so you could ask for a bit more. I would say maybe £160 might be reasonable, but you could ask the school what they had in mind which might be more.
  7. GelPen

    GelPen New commenter

    The school offered £135.

    I was thinking £180.

    So we need to agree on that first.
  8. pepper5

    pepper5 Star commenter

    The sensible thing would be to agree somewhere in between the two figures. It does depend on whether you are planning and marking as well. You want to get a fair rate, but you don't want to price yourself out of the market.

Share This Page