1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help - Interviews Looming

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Muttley_in_the_Midlands, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Muttley_in_the_Midlands

Muttley_in_the_Midlands New commenter

After having a great selection day at Warwick University and being accepted on the course, Warwick subsequently cancelled its PGCE and also its GTP in my subject. "But don't worry," they said, "having passed our selection day, you are in a fantastic position to get a place elsewhere."

4 other providers I applied to received no allocation his year.

I had one remaining application and was invited to interview and failed it.

Cutting a long story short I now have managed one more final interview for GTP and one for PGCE remaining and having failed the last one, I am having kittens about these interviews. The PGCE one requires me to teach a 5 to 6 minute lesson with a class of 14 year olds on a subject I have been given and quite frankly I don't know how I can possibly fit in the requirement in the time allowed!

I am also lacking in confidence having failed the last interview spectacularly. The feedback was that I didn't know enough about child protection, the national curriculum, and all the exam syllabi in my subject - heaven knows how as the last 2 weren't even discussed during my interview. I also don't have enough school experience they said. My sponsoring school were pretty shocked.

Does anyone have any advice? Having had one interview go so well and one so badly, I am at a loss to know how to prepare. I will run my 5 minute "lesson plan" past my mentor at school but what about the rest?
    Thanks in advance

2. Muttley_in_the_Midlands

Muttley_in_the_Midlands New commenter

Sorry, my paragraph spacings have disappeared - I'm on a Mac.

3. Herringthecat

Herringthecat New commenter

Can you start from your learning objectives and work backwards from there?

If at all possible, put the last disastrous experience behind you as they're clearly 'not all there' - something else going on in the background that you're not a party to, perhaps. Focus on the fact that you were offered a place at Warwick and there are professionals out there who have confidence in your ability to become a teacher.

Do you have a friendly teacher at your sponsoring school who might be able to help with your 6 minute lesson?

And I don't get paragraphs either. I have to manually put them in with html. you have to write the letters 'br' with pointy brackets around them, then they appear!

Good luck