1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP! Interview

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sbark09, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    I've just been informed I have a working interview on Thursday, for a Year 1/2 class. The Headteacher was previously the Deputy at the school I did my final block in, so I need to make a good impression - as well as hopefully get the job!

I have to teach a lesson for 35-40 minutes, it needs to have a literacy focus, and be very creative, rather than just having the children sit down and write. The children can work in groups or as individuals. I've been told it's more about the way I manage the class - they are very lively - than the outcome, however it obviously needs to be good... So any help with regards to the lesson, and management of the children would be greatly helpful. I think I am quite good at management anyway, having been an NQT on supply for almost a year, but would appreciate any advice you could give me.

Thank you,
    S.

2. Hi all,
    I've just been informed I have a working interview on Thursday, for a Year 1/2 class. The Headteacher was previously the Deputy at the school I did my final block in, so I need to make a good impression - as well as hopefully get the job!

I have to teach a lesson for 35-40 minutes, it needs to have a literacy focus, and be very creative, rather than just having the children sit down and write. The children can work in groups or as individuals. I've been told it's more about the way I manage the class - they are very lively - than the outcome, however it obviously needs to be good... So any help with regards to the lesson, and management of the children would be greatly helpful. I think I am quite good at management anyway, having been an NQT on supply for almost a year, but would appreciate any advice you could give me.

Thank you,
    S.

3. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Do you have any ideas about what your focus will be?
    It's easier to help with specifics than general outlines.

4. No, that's all I've been told. It's only a very short lesson. I've been thinking about some ideas I've done before, have previously taught a well received lesson to do with monsters - footprints round the room, footprints on tables, lots of discussion about what the monsters look like etc.
    I'm struggling, keep having lots of ideas but can't pin one down. She just said she wants something creative, rather than just sharing a book. Eeek!