1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! interview observation.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by primrose_123, Oct 8, 2015.

1. primrose_123

primrose_123 New commenter

Hi,
    I've just been offered two interviews for next week, yay! They're both in KS2 and I'm all over the place with ideas because I've spent the last 2 years in KS1.

The first observation is for a year 3 class. I can do either English or Maths; but on the theme of the Egyptians. No clue what to do!

The second observation is for a year 4 English lesson. I have been asked to do the main teaching, model then send them to their tables where I will then work with a group for ten minutes.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Xx

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done, very well done!

Now the policy on here is NOT to give any answers to interview questions, nor any suggestions for observed lessons. Not because we are mean and unkind, but because it just isn't wise.

If we gave you ideas, another candidate might see them, and do the very same thing! Don't think it would never happen - one Head once had 4 - FOUR! - candidates do a lesson which had been suggested on the Primary Forum in response to a request for suggestions for an interview lesson. She recognised it. Wouldn't matter if she hadn't, because the four of them doing the same thing sort of gave things away. :)

And best not to use something from the TES Resources either, for your interview. Another True Story: a Deputy Head asked a candidate to explain the rationale behind the materials and lesson used, and enquired specifically how they had been devised. She wasn't too impressed by the floundering answer. No wonder: the lesson and materials had been devised entirely by the Deputy Head herself, and posted on TES Resources! :) :)

So the sensible rule is: nothing from the internet for an interview. The Head wants to see how YOU can plan and deliver a lesson, even though you may well use other materials on a day-t-day basis. they want to see what you can manage on your own. I'm sure that you can really, you are just suffering from nerves!

So you need to start by thinking of a very good lesson that you have done in the past, decide what it was that made it so good, and then choose appropriate objectives, including how you will show that they have been achieved. then work on from there!

Below you have (I hope!) Links to the newly-transferred advice articles from old-TES. Some of them are not relevant to you, but I am including them all for the benefit of other posters.

Warning!

I have created links to these articles, but have not yet been able to go into them and check/change any internal links. So some internal links may no longer work on nu-TES.

Help, I've got an interview! *** The basic advice ***

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Using mind-mapping for interviews *** The best-loved advice ***

Tell us about yourself - dream or nightmare question?

Daft Interview Questions

What shall I wear to the interview?

Interviews – making a positive first impression

How do you decide who to appoint?

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

Child Protection: the questions, NOT the answers

A typical Child Protection Policy

Two interviews and a dilemma

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

SLT interviews - possible questions

In-tray exercises. Deputy Head

Assistant Head interviews

General interview questions

Questions to ask at the end of your interview

On Old-TES we had a very nice tradition that when you actually got a job, you started a brand-new thread (not adding it to this one - a brand-new thread) where you told us your good news. You call it Dear Theo - I got that job! and this gives everyone a chance to congratulate you. It also gives them hope and inspiration for their own jobseeking, to see you successful.

So I will end by saying that We look forward to seeing your Dear Theo - I got that job!

Best Wishes

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]

All the links to the articles work!

Since it has taken me an hour and a half to do them, I am very relieved. :D

[​IMG]

scattykatty likes this.