1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP INTERVIEW LESSON!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by gummy.bear, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Help please!

I have an interview in which I have to teach a Year One class for 30 minutes a lesson based on improving speaking and listening skills!! I have just finished my final placement at university in which I was in a Reception class!

I need to get a Year One brain on! My current idea is to read the highway rat, ask the children to think about words which describe the rat in talk partners and then to hot seat the rat.

Does this sound okay? I was also wondering for any other ideas in case it seems to easy or is over too quickly! I am so nervous! It'll be my first ever interview! :(

Thank you in advance!
    A x

2. Help please!

I have an interview in which I have to teach a Year One class for 30 minutes a lesson based on improving speaking and listening skills!! I have just finished my final placement at university in which I was in a Reception class!

I need to get a Year One brain on! My current idea is to read the highway rat, ask the children to think about words which describe the rat in talk partners and then to hot seat the rat.

Does this sound okay? I was also wondering for any other ideas in case it seems to easy or is over too quickly! I am so nervous! It'll be my first ever interview! :(

Thank you in advance!
    A x

3. Sounds good! Are you being the rat? I would probs get them in groups to think of some questions to ask the rat before you hot seat - just to make sure that they all know what they are doing! If there is a TA they could scribe some questions down. I'm not sure how the description of the rat fits in with the hot seating though - what is your learning objective? Could you do this as a starter?
    This is what I would do with your ideas:
    Starter - toy rat in feely bag, describe it using touch, then take out and describe appearance? Jot down any wow words on IWB.
    Read story - scan it on IWB if poss so all children can see pictures.
    Share success criteria for questions - who, what, when, why, where, how and question mark - or try to make children come up with this themselves? Model an example of writing a question to class.
    I would probs share a success criteria for working in groups too - one person speaks at a time, every one must contribute etc.
    Children in groups to think of questions to ask rat using success criteria. TA (if you have any) could scribe for Low ability. Higher ability children could work in pairs writing their questions on whiteboards then progress to working in a larger group by sharing ideas with another pair. Or have a larger piece of paper on each table with a picture of the rat, with mixed ability groups and have the higher ability scribe the questions if poss (you would have to find out the abilities, and the groupings of children before you could decide any of this )
    Put a mask on as a rat (I wouldn't chose a child if you don't know them very well) and allow the children to hot seat you, this will be child led as you will be in role so set the rules first e.g one child to ask question at a time, person who has just asked the question can chose the next person.
    Plenary - discuss with partner something they have found out about the rat, then share with class. Self assessment with traffic lights or thumbs up thumbs down against success criteria.
    Haven't read the book so don't know how helpful this will be ha! Good luck.

4. Thank you this is so so so very helpful!!!!
    I was thinking of getting a child to be the rat as I'm not a very good actor under pressure and nerves of an interview!
    Just some questions - would you tell the children that it is a rat in the feely bag?
    They were going to describe the rat because he is a mean character in the story (by Julia Donaldson) he steals food from other animals but gets his comeuppance at the end of the story!
    The learning objective is:
    I can use descriptive language to describe the character.
    Drama 4.a. Use language and actions to explore and convey situations, characters and emotions.
    So nervous as this is my first interview ever!!!
    A x

5. Ok well all activities should be linked to learning objective so your original idea sounds best actually ... could still use a toy and/or images from the book scanned on IWB to let the lower ability visualise what they are describing as some might struggle. Try to describe it using the senses to push the higher ability?
    How are you going to link the hot seating to the learning objective?You need to show how they are going to use the knowledge from the start of the lesson to progress further. If children were to jot down the wow words at start of the lesson on whiteboards, they could then go on to using these wow words in sentences to answer questions in role as the rat?
    You could still model the questions and answers using wow words just incase you have any low ability who struggle to think of how to word them, then have children take turns 'interviewing' the rat in pairs - making sure they use a wow word in their answers - before you chose one to hot seat as a whole class activity (Then you could have a look around to pick a child who you think might be good at it - you don't want to pick anyone who seems shy!). This means they would all have a go at being in role as the rat and be able to use their knowledge of wow words rather than just one person being able to do this - if this makes sense? You could make a wow word mat as well for support. You could even make a question bank!

6. You have some nice ideas. Hot seating is a great way to get the children involved. Just make sure the children are not sitting on the carpet the whole time, or if they are get some movement in there or they will be terrors! Could you have more than one child up for hot seating and make it all very dramatic?
    The feely bag idea is very nice- you could do it as a kind of guess who activity where you only accept questions based on the children using adjectives in their questions, such as 'does he have big, black eyes?' or 'does he have along, bendy tail?' Giving positive reinforcement when they use simple adjectives. Following this you could come up with some kind of wanted poster for the rat- if he is a horrid creature!
    Also look at your learning objective, currently it is more of a success critiera. You need to have a clear cut learning objective perhaps To use descriptive language, as this is what they are learning, rather than I can. (Sorry to be picky but my school would be one of many to highlight that.)

And good luck! x