1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help - interview lesson

Discussion in 'Music' started by ethnic, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Hi

Just found out 5 pm today at very short notice that I have an interview on Monday. I have to teach a Year 7 lesson of 30 minutes on a topic of my own choice. Talk about general. I was thinking about doing a song and relating it to some listening. Does anyone think this is a good idea? I am really stumped!

2. I have now changed my mind. Am now thinking about doing a composing topic - composing a short piece of music that illustrates 1 element of music like texture, etc. There are plenty of practice rooms to send them to as well as other instruments. Does anyone think that this is a good idea? Is best to stick to a classroom activity?? Help!!

3. I wouldn't personally want to send group of unknowns to practice rooms, this could lead to trouble if they are not used to this type of activity. I would probably do a vocal activity, teach them a song in a couple of parts, with a focus on performing skills and then record it for them to listen to. Use the audio as a way of commenting on musical development and engage them in some musical language if possible. If not this type of lesson I would definately want them all enagaged as a group as you can demonstrate a million things to an interview panel which does include a level of 'control'. Good luck.

4. dropje

dropje New commenter

I would sing a song as a class then add some instrumental stuff, practise, record and evaluate. Ticks all the boxes. As they walk in play the song and get them to come up with 3 questions about the music to ask eachother. Banuwa is a good one. Quick and easy to learn. The parts are in the resources section. Good luck!

5. I have decided to teach them one of my own songs as I know Year 7 will like it. I will start of with some fun vocal warm ups and then move into the song. The song does go into 2 parts in the verses so that shouldn't be too difficult. I will then record and play back and they can evaluate. Not sure there will be time to add pitched instrumental parts but there are some rhythmic parts that could be added. It's only part time maternity cover anyway for two terms!

Thanks for advice!