1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help - Interview lesson at a special needs school

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by helenaj, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Hi

I'm new to all this and wondering if anyone could help me..I have an interview at a special needs school next week and am after some ideas about what to teach. It is a year 9/10 class ranging in ability from level 1 to 5. There are 9 pupils in the class and three LSAs. I currently teach KS2 (year 5) in a mainstream so feeling sightly daunted by this prospect!

Any help would be greatfully received

2. I have a mixed yr 9 and 10 class of a similar ability. I'm primary trained and usually find that if I 'pitch' at around a year 3/4 class level I'm about right. It sounds like you are going to have lots of support in the room, so that's good.
    What is the main category of need in the class? If it is an MLD class, lessons to do with adjectives usually work well. If it is an SLD class, role play all the way! Whatever you do, try to link it to real life contexts and don't make it too abstract or the pupils won't get it.
    Good luck!