1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help, inspiration required!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by polly2, Jun 16, 2019.

1. polly2

polly2 New commenter

Hello lovely Tessers,

So I have a job interview coming up. In order to prepare I have researched interview questions and I am writing answers. I know the question may not be asked but I am hoping that by thinking about it, I can combat the nerves on the day and come up with a half decent answer! Anyway, I don't want your answers to the following but I wondered if I could have some inspiration. One of the questions I am thinking about is this:

Tell me about a time when you have been working with children/vulnerable adults and your authority was seriously challenged.

Now like I say, I don't want your answers - I don't think that would help me as my interview requires me to say how I dealt with a situation but my issue is I am struggling to think of a time when my authority was challenged. I am sure it has been at some point but for some reason, I am thinking and thinking and just can't come up with anything. This can't be possible! So, I am asking for inspiration. Would any of you be able to give me an example of a time your authority was challenged. Please don't tell me what you did in case it influences me but if I see some of your ideas, something may pop in my head.

Thank you in advance for your help. It is appreciated.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

How long have you been teaching? Have you never had a child challenge you? Admittedly on supply it is generally worse and I've met it so many times.

3. polly2

polly2 New commenter

17+ years which is why the fact I can't think of anything is ridiculous. My idea at the moment is a parent who has said x y z about me but I am wondering if I should think of a situation when a colleague has challenged me.

4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

What do you call a challenge to your authority? If it's something like a child telling you, "You're a s**t teacher" then that's only happened once in my 20+ years. That was easy, just shrug and go through the school policy for swearing at a teacher.

But what about?
    • blocking the classroom door because the lessons have started but the conversations haven't finished yet
    • shouting in the corridor and ignoring my requests to be quiet
    • talking when I'm addressing the class
    • refusing to reveal their name
    I can confidently predict that all these and plenty more will happen tomorrow. All right it's a bottom-end secondary and the only reason i'm there is because I like to be paid a lot and that is happening. Even so it's only to the summer as I wouldn't hang around there for any money.

My answer to the above 'challenges' will be
    Keep calm and follow the school behaviour policy (even though I know the school is appalling at following it through with a lot of repeat offenders) and that line will probably see you through any BFL question.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. polly2

polly2 New commenter

Thank you for your replies. I think I have come up with something. I am a student mentor and I had a student who seriously questioned my judgement when I expressed serious concerns about their teaching. I have discussed how I dealt with the situation by going through the evidence with them and asking for proof that they were as exceptional as they felt they were. I have then discussed how when they were still unsatisfied I contacted the university themselves and ask for an independent opinion. What do you think?