1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help, inspiration needed for Year 1 place value!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by funkyfairy2004, Nov 8, 2011.

1. funkyfairy2004

funkyfairy2004 New commenter

Hi, I'm being inspected next week and I have to teach my lower ability set of year 1's about numbers to 20 (and beyond) and basic place value, beginning with teen numbers. I have got the usual multilink activities but I wanted something a bit different, any ideas to inspire me would be greatly received.
    thank you
    FF

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

hello,
    I would suggest beginning with checking their understanding of 1 more and 1 less. Do they understand that the next number in the sequence is 1 more and that is the same as adding 1? Similarly with 1 less and subtract 1.
    If so, you could ask them to represent numbers to 10 with a resource such as Numicon, base 10 (Dienes) or bundles of straws.
    When you get to 10, can they exchange and see the 10 ones in the structured apparatus? This leads nicely into 1 more than 10 is 11 so 11 is 10 and 1; 10 +1. You could model using arrow cards alongside the other resources to show the link.
    Language - model and scaffold a range of language and expect the children to use it
    Symbols - Model and support the children to use the mathematical symbols alongside the images
    Images - have a variety of structured mathematical apparatus to support understanding
    Context - can you find a context that will grab the children's interest? I usually have a puppet/character that needs help with something or link a problem to the class story or topic.

Hope some of these ideas help,
    Carrie [​IMG]