1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help! Induction problems!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by BarbaraLloyd, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Hi there anyone out there who may be able to help........... My daughter qualified as a teacher in 2004 and did two terms of her probationary year at my school - all fine and was on course to finish her year with us. Then in April her visa came through and she left to join her husband in USA where she had a teaching post. She has now returned - didn't work out, not the teaching -she enjoyed her job.Her induction period has lapsed and looking at various websites it looks like her experience in America won't count. Has anyone experienced anything like this, any advice out there for us?

2. Hi there anyone out there who may be able to help........... My daughter qualified as a teacher in 2004 and did two terms of her probationary year at my school - all fine and was on course to finish her year with us. Then in April her visa came through and she left to join her husband in USA where she had a teaching post. She has now returned - didn't work out, not the teaching -she enjoyed her job.Her induction period has lapsed and looking at various websites it looks like her experience in America won't count. Has anyone experienced anything like this, any advice out there for us?

3. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

I don't know all the details. Time in the US won't count towards induction but, depending on how long she was away for, the first two terms should. Best bet is to contact the TDA (assuming they still exist) http://www.tda.gov.uk/ and they will be able to tell her what she needs to do to complete her induction. I hope she gets on well now she is back.

4. saj297

saj297 New commenter

The TDA have done away with the five year rule now, so there isn't a necessity to complete induction in the five year period following qualification. Overseas experience doesn't count unfortunately. As long as she has copies of her induction paperwork to-date, there shouldn't be a problem. The TDA website is good and they also have an advice line you can call for help and advice