1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help in Year 6 Maths Please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Elohim, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Hi guys,
    I've just identified that my Year 6 students are rubbish at working backwards to solve those tricky problems such as the following: three quarters of a number is 48. What is the number?
    ... Are there any good resources/tools/websites to help develop children's thinking/skills in this area. I have only been teaching for 2 years - and maths teaching is not my strength.
    Thanks so much!

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

I would suggest getting out some practical resources and ask the children to work in pairs to construct understanding. Using your example ... if 3/4 is 48 ... what would 1/4 be? Show with the apparatus/equipment. If 1/4 is 16 what is the number?

Having a range of practical apparatus to choose from would help, especially if you have a range and they can compare different images of the same thing.

Hope that helps,
    Carrie [​IMG]

3. Thanks Carrie.

4. I'd get them to set some questions in each format themselves first, and work out the answer
    eg three quarters of 64 is ...... one quarter is 16 so three quarters is 48 ...
    then work out the question ...... three quarters of a number is 48 - what is the number?

They then create process success criteria (step by step instructions to solve this kind of question), when they already know the answer. This should encourage inverse thinking. You may need to do lots of one step inverses to support, though as in 5 bags of 6 apples is 30 apples: 30 apples is six bags of how many apples?

5. Thanks Mr. Grumbles.

6. (Gertie hits Elohim with handbag and pours pint over his/her head then flutters eyelashes!)

7. Winnie Woo

Winnie Woo New commenter

I tell them to bring me three thingummyjigs. When they tell me they can't because they don't know what a thingummyjig is, I point out that they can't work out three quarters of something until they find out what a quarter is.