1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help in writing a cv and letter of application

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by teacherjacks, Jan 22, 2016.

1. teacherjacks

teacherjacks New commenter

Hi everyone. Right, its time I moved on from my school -I have been there far too long. So, before I give it a go, any advice on what to include in a cv and how to write the most amazing letter of application please. Very, very appreciative for any help, as I am finding this daunting. :)

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

You need to repost in the Jobseekers Forum. Theo has lots of advice there and in this section of the site too.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Agree with above poster but you may find that the advice will be 'don't bother! ' as rarely do schools ask for CVs. The norm being application forms and supporting letters. I had to write a CV recently but it was for consultancy work.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I agree. If the post is in a state school or an academy, a CV will not be required.

In order to ensure that all applicants provide the same information (and also, to an extent, for child safeguarding purposes), application forms are almost universally used.

As to the letter of application, this will depend on the post being advertised, the job description and the person specification.

A generic letter of application accompanied by a CV is a sure-fire way of NOT landing the post!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

And the letter will only be "amazing" if you can fill it with "amazing" facts, data etc relating to your teaching, leadership, etc.

welshwales likes this.
  6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

What did we say before everything / everyone became 'amazing '

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Or everyone wanted to find their "dream" job in their "dream" school.

NB If I had a tenner for every time we've had the "dream" job/school people come back the following year and tell us they wanted out because it was horrid...

minnie me and welshwales like this.
  8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

'Swinging', 'fab' or 'groovy' if you lived in the 60s.

'Gradely' if you come from Yorkshire, or 'gallus' if from Scotland.

'Eximious' or 'prestantious' if you have a classical education.

'Supernacular' if you only pretend to have a classical education.

'Topgallant' for those with a nautical background.

'Bodacious' or 'righteous' if you are enthralled by American CB radio culture or find Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure in any way entertaining.

and

'Splendid' if you are Sean Connery playing James Bond.

marlin likes this.
  9. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ah yes the dream job scenario. I blame X Factor and the like where it has become everyone 's dream to sing / perform. ' It's all I have ever wanted to do' nonsense from folk who are barely 16 ! - aaaargh ! Actually I do know of a school website ( I once worked with their Head ) where it talks about ' having / pursuing a dream ' . Blah !