1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help - In Nursery tomorrow!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by guinnesspuss, Jun 6, 2011.

1. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

I'm going into a Nursery on supply tomorrow and it's a loooooong time since I was in KS1 let alone with 3-5s.
    I know there are going to be Nursery Nurses and TAs, but what will be expected of me?

2. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

I'm going into a Nursery on supply tomorrow and it's a loooooong time since I was in KS1 let alone with 3-5s.
    I know there are going to be Nursery Nurses and TAs, but what will be expected of me?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Perhaps if you do pot know what to do in a nursery class then you should not make yourself available for such supply work. What happens in cases like this is that generally the responsibility falls on the classroom assistants and the supply teacher gets carried and then paid for doing very little. IMO there shoul.d be specific supply teachers for EY who do know what they are doing.This is not a personal attack but I hope you see what I am getting at

4. ela86

ela86 New commenter

I imagine the nursery teacher will have left lesson plans etc in place. But just in case, make sure you take in some ideas with you. You can search for lesson ideas online.
    You will be fine I am sure, when you get to the school ask the nursery staff what normally happens in teh school day in terms of routines etc
    Most of the day should be relatively unstructured at that age and you will probably only need 1 or 2 focused activities, the rest of the time will probably be spent playing in the continuous provision areas. Like I said, take in your own ideas/ lesson just in case there is nothing in place when you get there.
    Normally painting/ story telling/ outdoor play should have you covered.

5. Well said Nutella I'm currently a supply teacher after my post as a children's centre teacher was made redundant and it's not fair to existing staff and children when teachers are placed with age ranges they know nothing about - they'd never ask me to do A level physics!!!

6. They are only 3, I am sure you can be in there for a day, get on with it and get paid. Established EYFS staff would have you believe it is beyond the capacity of mere mortals to play with kids for a few hours. Nothing bad will happen. The children will barely notice the new face or miss the face that isn't there. Everything will continue to work as if the teacher hadn't been off. Maybe that is what they are afraid of?

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Have you ever tried it teejay?
    I've seen some very experienced teachers make a right mess of things and end the day quivering wrecks.