1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! In need of EAL support.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by KFig, Aug 10, 2016.

1. KFig

KFig New commenter

Hello all!
    I am a year one teacher and in September I will have two pupils with very little/no English language. One of the children only moves over here on the 27th of August!
    I was thinking of setting up language group, using role play and games to help develop core vocabulary.
    In honestly I have no idea how best support them (generally and in lessons) and would really appreciate any tips/ideas/advice anyone has.
    Thank you in advance :)

2. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Surely the school has plans in place? I can't imagine that a Year 1 teacher will be left to teach the 2 of them alone-presumably you will have a lot of 5 year olds to teach?
    Sometimes the parents coming in can be very useful.

3. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Relax ... children pick up English very quickly. In the early days it would be a good idea to have picture signs for the basics such as 'toilet', 'upset', 'drink' etc - You can find these easily by googling. Lots of picture / word labels and cards will also help - you can do these as you go along but I would get the basics done now whilst it's quiet. A communication group for speaking - initially English nouns then moving on to short phrases etc - I use the Tower Hamlets Language Structures as a starting point and move on from there. The other children in your class will be keen to help out and will enjoy the responsibility of introducing their new friend to the classroom.
    Any dual language texts or even eg English / Spanish dictionaries will be appreciated.
    Your new arrivals will typically have a 'silent period' where they seem to be doing a lot of listening and not saying very much. This is to be expected and nothing to worry about. It will suddenly flow when they are feeling more confident about what they know. Finally - please don't assume that because they are EAL they are not bright. The two children who made most progress in maths this year had no English in Autumn Term. One reached Expected level in Y2 SAT's, one didn't but both are very competent learners.
    In my first school we were 98% EAL. The Head was a lovely inspirational man who always said 'Good EAL teaching is just good teaching'. I've never forgotten that.

fly, KFig and minnie me like this.
  4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes a bit like including all children is good practice . There is a Mike. Gershon PPT which is accessible on the net with lots of practical ways to help - you can adapt for your age group and certainly not rocket science . Remember they have a language just not English.

vannie likes this.
  5. KFig

KFig New commenter

Hhhh - I will have a TA with me but it doesn't seem to be any formal plans as a standard in the school.
    Vannie - thank you for your ideas/reassurance there. Just want to clarify that I wasn't making any assumptions as to children's abilities just want to help bridge language barrier during general lessons :)

vannie likes this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

There will be less of an issue than seems scary at the moment. They pick up a lot by chattering and just by watching. Try not to overload them with too much adult led 'teaching' too soon. Just leave them be for a couple of weeks and let them learn from the other children...they will be exhausted just keeping up.

Perhaps see if they can go to reception for phonics lessons to start with. But other than that, when there is group work try to sit these children with your most able groups. They are the groups who understand and can explain and have the better use of English.

A few years back I had the same situation but in year 5. The two girls had never been to school before and were illiterate in their own language. I only did 'extra' with them in GR sessions (where they did phonics type work) and a TA only came for one afternoon a week. The TA did lots of conversation with them, involving other children, in our art lesson. By the end of year 6 one of the girls got a level 3 and one just missed it in both reading and writing. No bad for two years of school.

Please don't panic, they'll be fine!

7. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Hi KFig - I know you weren't. It's just that I see it so often and it makes me so annoyed. Your children will be fine. They have a thoughtful and considerate teacher!

8. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Schools should be proactive not reactive in accommodating a range of students and practically this would mean ideally staff having access to guidance / handbook / non negotiable re the delivery of their provision . You may want to consider running this by your LT . Good Luck

9. KFig

KFig New commenter

Thank you everyone!