1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help in finding a GTP school in London!!!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by ethelwig, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Hello,

I've recently decided, a bit late in the day admittedly, that I want to go for a Primary GTP.

On the TDA website there are schools that they have listed - i.e on the IOE. However, because I am late in applying (2 weeks until application deadline) my assumption is that these schools would have already picked their GTP's?

Does anybody have any advice in finding a school so late in the day. It says to apply in writing. But Is it worth calling up schools? How do schools apply to get GTP's?

I am a bit stressed but enthusiastic and I really want to do this!

Any any advice would be sooo helpful!

Thank you

Bex x

2. I applied for Secondary Maths and I just wrote to 80 schools in September. Included all the IOE ones but only 2 gave me interviews and I got one of those. I really think letters are the way to go but you need alot!

3. Hi Bex
    If you want to do the GTP some providers ask you to find a school, which will employ you, before you apply. That may be quite hard to do now as you only have 2 weeks before the application deadline. Other GTPs will find you an employing school once you have been accepted on the course, so it may be worthwhile looking around on the TDA website to see if there are any providers local to you that run the GTP that way. However, the GTP is very competitive and most providers ask for a minimum of 2 weeks experience, with most requesting anything up to 6 months experience before you are even considered when applying. So you may be pushed to find a provider who would take you on for Sept 2012 entry.
    My advice would be to go to a local school and ask if you can regularly volunteer as you are interested in becoming a teacher. You will find most schools would bite your hand off as they need all the help they can get. You can then build up a good relationship with the school and maybe ask them, after a while, if they would be interested in becoming your employing school.

4. Hi

Thanks for your advice.

I am confident in my experience of working with children. I have over 10 years of working with children and young people. in informal education!

However, it's just about getting to a school.

In London, all the providers ask you to find a school before applying. But as I have just decided to go for it, I know I only have 2 weeks to find a school!

Do you think ringing them up to ask if they take on GTP's is a good idea?

Anyone's experience of doing this in a tight deadline appreciated1

x

5. I would definately phone up the schools- it may reduce the number of letter you have to send out. Good luck.

6. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Suggest you send in a cv to multiple schools and then folllow it with a phone call. Try and target teaching schools if there are any in your area. However many schools will not really know their budgets for certain until february so unlikely to commit to new candidates. In my experience the majority of places go to Teaching Assistants already known to the schools who then invest in them.

7. Thanks all, much appreciated. Gotta give it a shot hey!