1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! I'm the only one who wants to strike!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by semery1, Jun 20, 2011.

1. We held a meeting for NUT members today, of which there are 4 out of 7 teaching staff in our school. Two have decided not to participate in the strike action on June 30th. And two of us want to. But we are questioning whether it is the right thing to do in view of our colleagues decisions. If we do, our classes will not be covered and those 60 children will be told not to come in. But the rest of the school will function as normal. Will our action be noticed? My head phoned the NUT today to ask if our stand to strike would be recorded in any way and combined to some sort of national total but they gave a very non-committal and unconvincing answer. I want to oppose the proposals but I'm not sure that losing a days pay etc is worth it if there is no sense of 'standing united' with my colleagues. Very confused and would appreciate any guidance. (I can't find any 'official' guidance on what to do in this situation).

2. We held a meeting for NUT members today, of which there are 4 out of 7 teaching staff in our school. Two have decided not to participate in the strike action on June 30th. And two of us want to. But we are questioning whether it is the right thing to do in view of our colleagues decisions. If we do, our classes will not be covered and those 60 children will be told not to come in. But the rest of the school will function as normal. Will our action be noticed? My head phoned the NUT today to ask if our stand to strike would be recorded in any way and combined to some sort of national total but they gave a very non-committal and unconvincing answer. I want to oppose the proposals but I'm not sure that losing a days pay etc is worth it if there is no sense of 'standing united' with my colleagues. Very confused and would appreciate any guidance. (I can't find any 'official' guidance on what to do in this situation).

3. erp77

erp77 New commenter

If you don't want to strike then I suggest you join another union - NASUWT? and leave the NUT sharpish.

4. Fair point! But, as I said, I want to. My question is will it make any difference if I'm the only one at my school?

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Just think about it and make your own decision. If you want to strike and are a member of a currently striking union, then strike. If you don't want to or are not s member then don't. What it looks like is irrelevant.

6. Any action starts with just one person. I know that this is slightly different, but if we all think 'well, not everyone at my school is going to strike' the strike won't happen, and what was the point of a) the ballot and b) having a union?
    IMHO it will make a difference - there are lots and lots of ways it might make a difference, but at the end of the day the biggest difference is to you and your conscience.
    If you want to - do it! :)

7. When I was at primary school, our teachers were a mixture of NASUWT and EIS - this was in the early days of the EIS, and younger teachers tended to be EIS members, whereas the longer standing teachers were NASUWT (not that I was terribly aware of the distinction at the time!).

It was quite common for half the school to be off when the EIS called for strike action whilst those of us (including me, much to my disappointment at the time!) who had non-striking teachers had to attend school as normal.

8. Thanks for all the feedback. I am going to strike and so is one of my colleagues so at least there are two of us!

9. baitranger

baitranger Occasional commenter

I suggest that you invite your colleages to work out how many tens of thousands of pounds have been wiped off the value of their pensions already and to compare that with the cost of going on strike for one day.
    You may find that there are more than two of you on strike.
    http://www.nasuwt.org.uk/PayPensionsandConditions/England/Pensions/ChampioningPublicSectorPensions/TheChangeFromRPItoCPI/RPItoCPIReadyReckoner/NASUWT_006871

10. It depends what you have to do to fulfil your striking obligations. Standing outside the school for six hours with a badly painted banner in the cold summer rain? Or a day at home watching Homes Under the Hammer and Diagnosics Murder et al?

11. You could always join one of the many local marches that the NUT are arranging.

12. causabon99

causabon99 New commenter

If NASUWT strikes then all members strike. There isn't the option. Therefore it certainly isn't the union for non strikers. The NUT for all its posturing is very weak in this way.