1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! I'm teaching Disco to Year 8!

Discussion in 'Music' started by GeneralDoyle, May 16, 2011.

1. I've recently started a new job and the next topic in the Year 8 SoW is Disco music. But, the previous teacher only left me with an outline of the topic and no other resources (apart from a CD) and I'm not sure what to do with them. Can anyone offer any ideas that may have worked quite well in the past?

A slightly distressed NQT!

2. midnightoil

midnightoil New commenter

My advice would be to teach something else and leave this topic until you have had time to plan how you want to do it in your way.
    It sounds as if this is a one-person department and that you have just decided to teach the SoW which is in place. Don't. If you are new to the job then find your feet first. Teach what you know and you will come across far better to the pupils.
    That's my ha'penny worth anyway. When I trained in 1981 we were led to believe that the York project had all the answers to teaching music in schools; it didn't. Presumably you went into music teaching because you wanted to, not to be bound by a SoW.
    On the other hand, if you already know a lot about Disco and just want advice about the best way to do it then you have come to the right place.
    I will follow the thread with interest.

3. I have a scheme of work that I can send you. It's for Year 9's but could easily be re-worked to work for Year 8's.

Please E-mail me at jubbliful@gmail.com and I will happily send you the resources :)

In basic terms, it involves:

- Human disco drum beat
    - Recognising Hooks
    - Performing Funky Town
    - Composing Disco piece