1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP. I'm now Art coordinator and have no idea how to write an action plan

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by vicky_home, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Hi

I'm new to teaching and have just been made Art coordinator. I have no idea what to do for it and have never even seen an action plan before. Can anybody help me?

Thanks!

2. Hi

I'm new to teaching and have just been made Art coordinator. I have no idea what to do for it and have never even seen an action plan before. Can anybody help me?

Thanks!

3. joli2

joli2 New commenter

I'm presuming you're primary. I'm not, so someone else with more experience in this area might be of more help. However, you can't start an action plan without taking stock of what is happening now. So you need to do an audit -
    1.What each year group/class covers in terms of skills/themes/artist, and when these occur in the year/term and how much curriculum time is given to art.
    2.What resources are available - paints/paper/brushes/chalks/clay/printing equipment/books/Powerpoint presentations/etc. etc.
    3 How these are distributed/accessed. Are they held centrally or in each room? Who monitors and orders stock? Does the stock match the curriculum or do teachers have to use what's there (can they request particular items if they want to do something particular).
    4. Is there a budget available to you - and how much?
    5. Are there any areas that teachers want to develop/want training in? How do they feel about the current art curriculum. Is the current curriculum cohesive, with built-in progression of skills etc. from term to term and year to year or is it ad hoc and totally dependant on the whim of each teacher? Do any teachers have specific skills (photography/textiles) that could be utilised?
    I'm sure there are other questions that others might suggest. Get a very clear picture of art in your school first, then decide (use school development plan as a guide and discuss with line manager) what the focus for development for the next 3 years will be. Your action plan will be what do you need to do to achieve that aim, in structured steps, timed and costed and how you will evaluate effectiveness- keep it simple and don't overlook good work already going on in the school.

4. I am the author of The Primary Subject Leaders Art and Design Handbook which contains all the guidance you require.It considers all the challenges facing a subject leader.including the role and responsibilities of the post, A CHECKLIST YOU CAN USE TO AUDIT EXISTING PRACTICE AND IDENTIFY DEVELOPMENT PRIORITIES and prioritise development needs in your school, GUDANCE ON PRODUCING A DEVELOPMENT PLAN following another questionnaire that you can circulate to other staff to identify their level of expertise and training needs and then establishing a strategy for lasting change. There's also assistance in developing essential documentation, including writing your policy and curriculum plan. There is a section on assessment and much essential advice on art curriculum content, media and processes, Drawing, Painting, Printmaking, Clay work and modelling and Three-dimensional work and construction. This section is illustrated with 100 examples of primary pupils work.

It can be purchased from N.S.E.A. D at their website- go to publications. You will also find a lot of useful advice and support on my website www.artinset.com which has a load of the stuff I have written about the teaching of the subject in primary schools and my blog and contact mail address.
    Good luck in your development work!
    John Bowden

5. darkness

darkness New commenter

You would need time to observe teaching and to look at work undertaken in each year group then come up with an action plan to ensure continuity of skills, making sure the kids make progression, and to ensure materials are available to meet the targets of the action plan.

As for the other things such as resources etc etc, well theere must have been a previous school art coordinator, so there should be things there and schemes of work for teachers to follow. You will just need to make sure they are kept up to date.

You may also need to identify skill weaknesses and strengths within the school staff, to identify those who may need to go on a course, and those who can provide 1 day workshops to the rest. You would be surprised sometimes at some of the things others do in their free time.