1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help I'm 41

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by lee_vardy15, Aug 31, 2019.

?

Help

1. Ok

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hi everyone I'm 41 and have been in construction pretty much all my life and I'm getting really bored and fancy something challenging and rewarding for my later years I know teaching will be hard work but am I to late to learn this career path?

2. TrueFaith

TrueFaith New commenter

In a word, no.

In my own school this year, we had a good few mature trainees. Before taking the plunge, see if you can volunteer to spend some time in a school to see what it's like.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

You would make more money and get less stress doing plumbing or electrics!

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  4. teselectronic

teselectronic Occasional commenter

Hi Lee, go for it and don't let anyone influence you not to.
    I was offered directorship in an Engineering company, but turned it down to Teach, the eldest in the family suggested I was making the wrong decision.
    It's the best move I've ever made and I'm proud to say my contributions have been quite significant.
    Last year I helped a boy in year 5, who achieved a zero score in his test prior to moving into year 6, he's now in the top set in a School, who have eight sets.
    Teaching is not easy, however, it is very rewarding; you must be prepared to work hard.
    To conclude, go for it with enthusiasm and enjoy.

5. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

As an unqualified/trainee/ newly qualified teacher you will probably get a job reasonably quickly.

Teaching can be rewarding and it is certainly challenging.

Once you gain experience you will become expensive and find it more difficult to get a job. This is when your age may be a factor (although it won’t be acknowledged).

This may change if scheme for flat pay scale takes off....