1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help!!! If you work in a single reception classroom with two classes in it and no wall!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by peatles, May 1, 2011.

1. Hi all, I posted a while ago about the Headteachers wish to knock down the wall between two reception classes and have a alrge learning space without a partition.
    Well the wall is down and the room/space is great (although we have not had time to set it up completely yet, but that's another story!), but I am finding it difficult to get my head around how to do my class input etc if for example we are counting aloud and the other classnare still listening to input/ story for example?
    Do you just teach all 60 together for input and then do smaller group focussed input eg in groups of 6/8?
    Really need some help peeps!

Thanks
    xx

2. Hi all, I posted a while ago about the Headteachers wish to knock down the wall between two reception classes and have a alrge learning space without a partition.
    Well the wall is down and the room/space is great (although we have not had time to set it up completely yet, but that's another story!), but I am finding it difficult to get my head around how to do my class input etc if for example we are counting aloud and the other classnare still listening to input/ story for example?
    Do you just teach all 60 together for input and then do smaller group focussed input eg in groups of 6/8?
    Really need some help peeps!

Thanks
    xx

3. Our 2 reception classes were knocked into one during last summer holidays. This is great for sharing resources and being able to set up larger role play area etc. However, it is awkward for teaching phonics ( which we teach by ability across the 60 ch) and story time, especially if one of the teachers is a bit louder! We split into 4 groups and the TA's took their smaller groups to work in the cloakrooms or other small spaces. When the weather is fine we also take advantage of the outdoor space.
    However, when the headteacher came to observe a phonic session she noticed that some children were distracted by what was going on in the other half of the room. As a consequence we now have a thick concertina partition which we move across the room for register, phonics, story time etc. and then roll back when it's time to 'get busy'. This does mean that my colleague and I have to agree previously how long we will need for discussion and does reduce spontaneity but it works well for us.

4. that's exactly what I feared! The builders were saying you need a door and the head and dep just said no!

5. We have the same set up but are lucky enough to have an NNEB so use 3 "key people" groups for focus sessions/snack times. We've set up 3 areas as far away as poss from each other and it seems to work. We can all see each other so just indicate when finished and about to release children. Try to keep focus sessions to 10/15 mins.
    Phonics- the school has set up several areas around school so we use those and make sure we fit in with KS1 and 2 in using these areas. These areas aren't all rooms but have all the resources in them (school has invested a lot of money in a lot of sets) so it doesn't mean sorting and carrying resources there every day.
    Our main problem is only having 1 interactive white board as 60 too many to sit in front of it. We have a rolling programme of focus sessions each day so each group gets to do everything. I like working this way as I know all the children well, the other teacher and I share everything including writing 1 set planning. We can focus support/challenge on those who need it across the whole 60 which is more time/adult efficient. We also have a constant dialogue sharing ideas and next steps. The only area we complete individually is the EYFS profile for each class but we moderate and discuss before/after completion together with our NNEB. Best of all we have a lot of fun.
    My only gripe is having to constantly remind Head that we are 2 classes and in terms of T/As, NNEBs covering classes they should be paid "uplift" for both classes. Also if a T/A is sick we don't always get extra cover as it looks like we have a lot of adults.