1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Ideas needed for teaching English Civil War @KS3

Discussion in 'History' started by louscher, Dec 18, 2006.

1. I'm teaching a group of Year 8's tomorrow and am using a picture of Oliver Cromwell's head after his body was dug up and executed following the restoration. Hopefully it will get them interested, especially seeing as you can still see his facial hair and the spike coming out the top of his head!

2. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

hi,

i'm just coming to the end of this topic now and my year 8's have to write a children's story about the civil war. they like it because they get to draw pictures but it means they have to explain things really simply and they have to have understood it to do that.

good to put on display too!

3. Looks like this is your lucky day - I downloaded a file under the thread of 'LESSON ACTIVITIES LOG'. It looks like a really experienced teacher has logged all the cool activities he / she has ever used. They are truly inspired. Check it out!

4. I have just done my favourite civil war lesson this week. It needs a little imagination from them! I discuss a recent ebay sale, so current fav is the Britney Speare hair shave, how the items such as her hair and the clippers are sold etc. Then the students have to sell an item from the execution (lots of heads and axes, lads love the gore etc). I emphasize that they must sell its history to me; why should i buy it, why is this item important? You can then level mark this description if you like!

5. We are doing a cidoe conference with the British Archives. Can't say if its going to be any good yet as this is the first time we have done it however it sounds good in theory. Information can be got from their website.

6. Sorry that should read video conference.

7. Do you have an interactive whiteboard? I teach History as my second subject, and use Powerpoint presentations to make the lessons more interesting using a very worthwhile CD from www.teacherweb.org.uk

Just my 2p worth!
    I hope it helps!

8. NEWBIELADY IS THE WRITER OF THE RESOURCES

IT'S ALL A TRICK

This spammer was banned three times.

The resources are rubbish and have been given away several times in resources.

If anyone wants them FREE put your email address here and I will email them to you this afternoon.

SPAMMER SPAMMER SPAMMER SPAMMER

SEARCH THE NAME NEWBIELADY TO SEE HIS SPAMS YESTERDAY AND TODAY

9. cheesypop I love that idea of them writing a story for smaller children-do you have a writing frame for that please or an example of a kid's work?? xx

10. whizzbangbang

whizzbangbang New commenter