1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help - ideas needed for introducing enterprise to year 9

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by Twinklefoottoe, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Twinklefoottoe

Twinklefoottoe Senior commenter

I have to introduce a mixed ability year 9 group to enterprise in year 9 as part of PHSE. I'm an ICT teacher, not Business Studies in a classroom with no computers but it does have a projector.

Lesson 1: did a 5 minute 'guess the logo' competition. Then looked at superjam video and students had to pick out facts from the video. Then we talked about the definition of enterprise and entrepreneur and then we brainstormed and looked at some short clips from the BBC about the qualities entrepreneurs have.

Lesson 2: Mmmm. Not sure what to do. Trying to keep it interesting, maybe practical, get them interested in business.

Would anyone like to suggest some ideas / resources / fun tasks for the next few lessons, please? There's only 4 or 5 lessons in total.

2. revisionstation

revisionstation New commenter

Hi

Try these ideas:

Buy lots of terrible products from Poundland and wrap them up. Organise into teams and they have to pitch them at the front Dragon's Dens Style. This teaches them the characteristics of entrepreneurs - that they must have creativity and self confidence. Show the Levis roots Den clip to inspire them and a prize for best group. Great items are back scratchers, lumbar supports, click watches, solar frog lights the choices are endless. What would they charge how would they market the product, who would buy it.Total cost to you of £10.

They could also write a list of the characteristics they think an entrepreneur should have and then vote on who (in the class) would be most likely to start a business and why. Nice social interaction, discussion fun session.

Next lesson give them sweets that they need to develop packaging for - needs to be a for a specific target market e.g. men 25-35 so may have footballs on the packets.

You could also try the rebrand soda water (maybe as mountain spring water) making new labels or white plimsolls (from Primark) they have to decorate and then sell to the class.

Hope that helps

Sarah Hilton

@revisionstation

3. Twinklefoottoe

Twinklefoottoe Senior commenter

Brilliant!

Thanks for these really good ideas. I had them watching a few short videos on marketing and the 4Ps this week, then getting them to design some wearable technology, and decide and justify a 4Ps approach.

I like the Dragon's Den exercise. I can see that working and it might be fun to get them into groups and give them a mystery object to plug.

We have looked at what makes a good entrepreneur but I can see a good starter activity, getting them to predict someone for fame and riches.

The other tasks are great too. I think I have my next 4 weeks of work so thanks. Any other ideas along the same lines are always welcome.

Thank you.