1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Ideas needed for an 30 minute literacy focus lesson in reception.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by miss_ybarnes, May 4, 2012.

1. I have my first interview next week and have been asked to take a 30 minute lesson with a literacy focus in a reception class. I've never taught in reception before however so I am very worried about what to plan and organisation etc.
    I was thinking of linking it to a story but am not sure what kind of activities to plan for them so any ideas would be welcome!
    Also I have often seen about 3 or 4 activities being done within a reception class when I have observed and if I do this should I let them choose their own activity? I am worried of spending the entire 30 minutes deciding which activity to do.
    Should I make notes on observations or should I be interacting with the children? I have also seen other people say they got the LSA to make notes about observations as well, should I do this?
    I am very confused about it all so any advice would be appreciated, all I know is it should have a literacy focus and I will have 30 children and one LSA.

Thank you.

2. I have my first interview next week and have been asked to take a 30 minute lesson with a literacy focus in a reception class. I've never taught in reception before however so I am very worried about what to plan and organisation etc.
    I was thinking of linking it to a story but am not sure what kind of activities to plan for them so any ideas would be welcome!
    Also I have often seen about 3 or 4 activities being done within a reception class when I have observed and if I do this should I let them choose their own activity? I am worried of spending the entire 30 minutes deciding which activity to do.
    Should I make notes on observations or should I be interacting with the children? I have also seen other people say they got the LSA to make notes about observations as well, should I do this?
    I am very confused about it all so any advice would be appreciated, all I know is it should have a literacy focus and I will have 30 children and one LSA.

Thank you.

3. First of all Good Luck and Do not panic!!!!
    You are right to think about a few different activities for the class, however of course not all children will be able to do all the activities in one lesson. Perhaps mention that this would be a starter lesson for a series of lessons so that each child can participate in all the activities.
    Good idea to use a story, and try to use one the children already would know because 30 minutes is not very long!
    It could be a character focused lesson perhaps? Maybe the gingerbread man? And children could design their own gingerbread man or make a gingerbread man from playdough. Children could write the phrases from the book or role play the gingerbread man saying "run, run etc..."

Labelling a character is always good or ordering the story with flashcards. Remember to bring the children back together at the end and ask a few of them what they have learned or ask a few questions to check their understanding.

Definitely use your LSA, maybe working with a group whilst you monitor and observe all the children? Or take half each to observe.

You will be fine I am sure, it is never easy going into somewhere unfamiliar to teach for such a short period of time! Good luck!